Has anyone heard of Ameripride Ambulance?

ken158

Forum Crew Member
They're based in LA County.

Has anyone heard of them? I've used the search function and the company was mentioned once or twice, but it wasn't a lot of information.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
info

They're a typical con-home and dialysis transport company. I've seen them a few times at local ER's around the South Bay...

OP
OP
ken158

ken158

Forum Crew Member
They're a typical con-home and dialysis transport company. I've seen them a few times at local ER's around the South Bay...

Are they legit, or are they shady? I literally can't find anything since they're apparently new.

MunchkinMedic

Forum Crew Member
They are on the more shady side. I don't know if he's still there, but their general manager at one point was my dispatcher from another company, who was originally a supervisor that had been demoted for multiple sexual harassment issues. They don't have many ambulances. Brand new company, opened about two years ago, no major growth if any that I've seen. It's your typical ghetto LA County ambulance company.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
A small company doesn't mean that it is "shady." If you're looking for a job, I wouldn't recommend a place that primarily runs dialysis calls because you lose your skills because you don't use them on a daily basis due to the monotony of those calls. While you will make more money at a "dialysis company" versus an established IFT or 911 company, I would take the pay cut for the experience you gain.

I also would avoid companies using second hand ambulances that have their phone number on the side.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
If your looking at an LA Co IFT company, look at PRN and Bowers

AmeriPride

Forum Crew Member
I will not comment on the information above, I will just list some facts about our company:

- LA County licensed (the only company in the last 2 years approved after their initial meeting, the only company that had no issues with financials, no issues with pickups in unlicensed areas, or any other "shady" stuff)

- Started with 1 vehicle on our first day of actual operation, April 2012, up to 7 units right now, about to buy 8th.

- Licenses in most cities in South End, plus Long Beach, and, now, County land.

- Dialysis / ER Ratio currently 60/40 but as we grow we are looking to change that dramatically. It is unlikely in this industry for a new start up company to start any other way. We made a conscious effort not to do anything beyond basic BLS as we were awaiting our county license. We have it now, and things will begin to change as we grow.

- Growing, and always looking for EMTs who want to have a career with an HONEST growing company who is doing things the right way. Great pay (experienced drivers start at $11, signing bonus, and opportunities as we grow and need Lead EMTs, Field supervisors, dispatchers,....). Paid holidays, lots of overtime, always paid.

- Paid company meetings on Sundays (about one per quarter, or more as needed) where we do lots of training. Last two monthly meetings were on Patient Assessment, 911 Referral and Restraints Training, just to give you an idea.

- No contracts. We don't believe we are ready yet, size-wise, for a hospital contract, so we won't fight for them. The goal is to grow organically.

- Logisticare provider, access to 4 out of 6 HMOs involved in the California Insurance Marketplaces. (LA Care, Healthnet, SCAN, Care 1st).

If you have any questions feel free to visit our station in gardena, or email me. (Redacted). I will be glad to answer any questions you have, privately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordoemt

Forum Lieutenant
I will not comment on the information above, I will just list some facts about our company:

- LA County licensed (the only company in the last 2 years approved after their initial meeting, the only company that had no issues with financials, no issues with pickups in unlicensed areas, or any other "shady" stuff)

- Started with 1 vehicle on our first day of actual operation, April 2012, up to 7 units right now, about to buy 8th.

- Licenses in most cities in South End, plus Long Beach, and, now, County land.

- Dialysis / ER Ratio currently 60/40 but as we grow we are looking to change that dramatically. It is unlikely in this industry for a new start up company to start any other way. We made a conscious effort not to do anything beyond basic BLS as we were awaiting our county license. We have it now, and things will begin to change as we grow.

- Growing, and always looking for EMTs who want to have a career with an HONEST growing company who is doing things the right way. Great pay (experienced drivers start at $11, signing bonus, and opportunities as we grow and need Lead EMTs, Field supervisors, dispatchers,....). Paid holidays, lots of overtime, always paid.

- Paid company meetings on Sundays (about one per quarter, or more as needed) where we do lots of training. Last two monthly meetings were on Patient Assessment, 911 Referral and Restraints Training, just to give you an idea.

- No contracts. We don't believe we are ready yet, size-wise, for a hospital contract, so we won't fight for them. The goal is to grow organically.

- Logisticare provider, access to 4 out of 6 HMOs involved in the California Insurance Marketplaces. (LA Care, Healthnet, SCAN, Care 1st).

If you have any questions feel free to visit our station in gardena, or email me. (Redacted). I will be glad to answer any questions you have, privately.

This:p

looker

Forum Asst. Chief

This says enough, Logisticare is very shady company. Anyone can work with them if you willing to accept low rates and transport whoever they tell you to transport without questioning it.

AmeriPride

Forum Crew Member
This says enough, Logisticare is very shady company. Anyone can work with them if you willing to accept low rates and transport whoever they tell you to transport without questioning it.

I would like to know where you get your information from, because it does not match what I know from working with Logisticare at all. They have a lot of issues with their wheelchair business, which we are not in, but not their Ambulance program.

Actually Logisticare's patient qualifications for Ambulance transport are some of the toughest in this industry. MOST of the ambulance transportation approved by Medicare does not qualify under LC's rules, and is downgraded to Gurney Vans, which we do not do. We only accept true qualified Logisticare transports.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think it says a LOT about the company that the President of the company came onto the forum to answer questions, provide info and listed his contact info. It certainly makes the "stay away" posts lose some validity.

The email address was removed by the Mods, as we don't allow email addresses to be posted in the forum.

Well done Edward Greenberg.

AmeriPride

Forum Crew Member
I have been a "quiet" member for a while now, and have learned a whole lot from this forum. I read new posts daily. Also, I am sorry I did not realize about the email address, I was posting late at night and forgot about the rule. You are right, people can find it from our profile or our site.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Wait... someone is willing to give you money to, you know, transport someone and you're going to question it?

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Wait... someone is willing to give you money to, you know, transport someone and you're going to question it?

It's because of their business model. Logisticare makes money by getting the lowest bidder to do the job. They will also get the lowest level of care even if it's recommended higher one because it will cost them money. Not only but that they are in violation of Los Angeles law. Specifically this part

"It shall be unlawful for any ambulance operator to give directly or indirectly, or cause to be given, any rebates, commissions, reserve rebates, or any reduced rates or cash discounts to any person, or persons, or groups of any nature, except as provided herein or which may be authorized by the Board by regulation." Now the exception is if there is signed note from doctor, social worker or some hospital official saying the patient can't pay the rate then 25% discount can be given. Logisticare refuses to pay the offical ladot rates because they say they can't afford it.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
I would like to know where you get your information from, because it does not match what I know from working with Logisticare at all. They have a lot of issues with their wheelchair business, which we are not in, but not their Ambulance program.

Actually Logisticare's patient qualifications for Ambulance transport are some of the toughest in this industry. MOST of the ambulance transportation approved by Medicare does not qualify under LC's rules, and is downgraded to Gurney Vans, which we do not do. We only accept true qualified Logisticare transports.

Do you get paid LADOT rate for each ride for the trips that been originated in city of Los Angeles are required by law?? Also they require company to get useless insurances which have no benefit for the patient. In addition if another company comes tomorrow and accepts lower rate compare to they will give them the transport job instead of you.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
Logisticare is ridiculous. LA Care and Logisitcare are making getting reimbursements for ambulance transports a nightmare. For example:

Hospital calls for patient transport and has medical/la care.

-they then need to be instructed to cal Logsiticare because they are contracted with LA Care and they need to generate a trip number in order to authorize the transport. If not, good luck trying to get paid.

Referral sources don't have time to call a third party and be on hold for 30 minutes for just a bls transport.

this whole business is horrible.

AmeriPride

Forum Crew Member
Do you get paid LADOT rate for each ride for the trips that been originated in city of Los Angeles are required by law?? Also they require company to get useless insurances which have no benefit for the patient. In addition if another company comes tomorrow and accepts lower rate compare to they will give them the transport job instead of you.

I have never heard of companies bidding on business with Logisticare. They have their standard rates, which are comparable to Medicare rates for Medicare patients, and Medical for Medical/HMO patients. We would not do business with them if the rates were lower than that.

City of LA rates are a totally different issue. Nobody pays those rates. What insurance company would pay close to $1,000 per call? That's unrealistic. Medicare does not do that. They have their own rate and the City or County rates are downgraded to the Medicare "allowance".

AmeriPride

Forum Crew Member
Logisticare is ridiculous. LA Care and Logisitcare are making getting reimbursements for ambulance transports a nightmare. For example:

Hospital calls for patient transport and has medical/la care.

-they then need to be instructed to cal Logsiticare because they are contracted with LA Care and they need to generate a trip number in order to authorize the transport. If not, good luck trying to get paid.

Referral sources don't have time to call a third party and be on hold for 30 minutes for just a bls transport.

this whole business is horrible.

It is actually a lot more simple than that. All the interaction between the patient and their HMO and Logisticare happens behind the scenes. By the time we are called and given a transport by LC, it's already pre-approved and has a trip number. In addition, most if not all of their trips are pre-scheduled.

Yes, if you are a patient or a facility where a LC-contracted patient resides, you need to call LC and arrange transportation.

AmeriPride

Forum Crew Member
BTW, this whole subject of Logisticare is a moot point, they are less than 2% of our business. It's just a way to get additional calls during slow periods.