Harsh Winter Gear

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I worked as a ski patroller and have done a few back country SARs. Everything has pretty much been covered.

The only thing I would add is weatherproof matches and some dryer lint it'll help you get a fire started if you end up in a bad situation.

If you work around snowmobiles or ATVs in the summer time a couple tampons are a good idea. Laugh it up :rofl: but in the event you get stuck and have to stay overnight tampons make awesome firestarters. They have a string on em so you can dip it into your gas tank and let it absorb some fuel to help you start a fire, they burn pretty well and stay lit for a decent amount of time. I always have a couple when we go snowmobiling. I promise you will get some funny looks buying them though.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
I worked as a ski patroller and have done a few back country SARs. Everything has pretty much been covered.

The only thing I would add is weatherproof matches and some dryer lint it'll help you get a fire started if you end up in a bad situation.

If you work around snowmobiles or ATVs in the summer time a couple tampons are a good idea. Laugh it up :rofl: but in the event you get stuck and have to stay overnight tampons make awesome firestarters. They have a string on em so you can dip it into your gas tank and let it absorb some fuel to help you start a fire, they burn pretty well and stay lit for a decent amount of time. I always have a couple when we go snowmobiling. I promise you will get some funny looks buying them though.

Before I would go camping, I would take the dryer lint and roll it up in printer paper. Run a piece of toilet paper through the middle (almost like a fuse) and you have a really awesome fire starter. Brillo pad and a battery would get that burning real quick.

AK_SAR

Forum Crew Member
Serious weather gear

I don't know what sort of uniform you are required to wear for normal duty. But if you are going to be out in the boonies in winter, then your clothing needs to give you good protection from the elements, to keep you alive. Think of it as a "scene safety" issue. In the mountains you can run into a wide variety of conditions, which may range from rainy and wet and windy, to extreme cold and windy, to a full on gale, or any combination in between. Conditions can change fast, so if you are leaving the rig, always take gear with you, even if the weather looks good when you are starting out.

Warm boots that fit well and are good for walking, with a good traction sole are a must. Look next to your outer shell layer. You want a good wind and waterproof, yet breathable jacket (goretex or similar). It should be sized big enough to wear comfortably over your insulation layers. Pit zips are nice, to allow ventilation when you are working hard, yet zip up when you don't want ventilation. It should have a hood, and if you might be required to wear a helmet then the hood should fit over that. I like to keep a warm hat and light gloves stashed in the pockets at all times, so I always know I have them. You also want some shell pants (also goretex or similar). Ones with full side zips are nice, since you can easily put them on or off over your other clothing, as needed.

Next to the skin I've always worn synthetic tops and bottoms, but lately I've really started to like the "smart wool" stuff. Then lots of pile or fleece. You don't want any cotton! You want to make sure you size stuff so it all fits comfortably. Remember, each layer you add makes you bigger for the next layer! Someone mentioned a down jacket for when it gets really cold, or you are inactive for awhile, or when you get stuck out overnight. Down is OK, as long as you are sure it won't get wet. Instead of down, I prefer one of the synthetic filled jackets. It is cheaper than down, and it will still give warmth even when wet. I have one that is sized really big, so I can throw it on over all my other gear, even over my shell jacket.

You will want some warm gloves or, if it is really cold, mittens. (These are in addition to the ones in your jacket pockets.) Also a really warm hat. Some like the balaclava type, I prefer a fleece hat covered with goretex. You will want good pack to put all this stuff in. Make sure there is some extra space so you can carry medical gear in it, since lot of trauma bags are not very comfortable to carry if you have to go any distance. As others have mentioned, in you pack always keep a good LED headlamp (with extra batteries), a knife, fire starting gear, a small light weight tarp or something similar, and some nylon cord. Don't forget food, and water (in an insulated bottle so it doesn't freeze). Somebody mentioned treking poles (walking sticks), these are great when you are stumbling up a slippery trail in the dark! A small ensolite pad to sit on is great if you get stuck somewhere. Carry an extra battery for your handheld radio (keep it in pocket in one of your inner layers so it stays warm).

Brush up on hypothermia and cold injuries. These are always a potential issue even if the chief complaint is trauma. A good source is the Alaska multi level "Cold Injuries Guidlines" at http://www.chems.alaska.gov/EMS/documents/AKColdInj2005.pdf

Lastly, try to get out and enjoy mountains in winter. Try some cross country skiing or snowshoeing. It is fun, it's good exercise and will get you fit, and will give you an opportunity to try out all this gear before you need it on a real call.