Handcuff key? Do you carry one?

OP
OP
EMT533

EMT533

The Rookie
I am wondering, did you put any actual thought into it before asking the question ? Does it make any sense to you to carry handcuff keys at work, what kind of 'difficult situation' can happen that warrants you to carry them ? What is your role as an EMS provider as opposed to other departments that use controlled violence to achieve their goals ? I'm not trying to degrade you in any way, but if you struggle with common sense and need to 'ask the pros', I would strongly suggest reconsidering your career choice.

Wow. First of all,"incase you find yourself in a difficult situation" was from the website I read(That's why it's in quotations) Second of all maybe you should read some replies because obviously some EMT's do. Third, obviously you think I'm an incompetent idiot so no need to try and save yourself with the whole "not trying to degrade you".

OP
OP
EMT533

EMT533

The Rookie
FYI, boots made to hide a handcuff key are only marketed as "tactical gear" to avoid the bad PR of marketing them to the habitual criminal offender demographic. And that way you also reach the paranoid anti-government survivalist and militant types, who buy all their clothes and accessories out of the Galls catalogue.
Oh ok! Thank you!

OP
OP
EMT533

EMT533

The Rookie
I have used them in the past to unlock and relock cuffs (usually from the back to the front) so that I can do IV's etc, Don't always have an officer in the truck until we transported: may be on scene for awhile before we transported and I always started working up patient before the officer got in the truck. Never had an officer comment about moving the cuffs. Never had a problem from the patient/prisoner while moving the cuffs around.
Ok that is what I was wondering. Thank you very much!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Somewhere around the house I have a couple handcuff keys and I do know how to use them... that being said, I do not carry one with me.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As restraints. They are still apart of the police union or something like that, from way back in the day.
They are represented by the Patrolmen's Association but have handcuffs for apparently unrelated reasons/they wanted them.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
No, but I was just BLS transport that provided initial care to 911 calls.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
I do have a key in my bag, however also have cross training in LE and keep it there for when I do LE related work. I have had one episode in the last 4 years where it was handy, but not necessary.