Are you a licensed Ham Radio operator?

• Yes

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
I am an extra class op, and working on becoming an EMT, does that count? :) I've been at it for almost ten years now and constantly enjoy it.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I forget what antenna I have. But my dad has a few amp's he needs to repair, he's gonna give me one.
If you connect your amplifier to your CB, you need to not do that. The FCC does not look very kindly on amplifiers being connected to those radios. Those radios are limited to 4 W output. That is why you need a good antenna system. The more efficient your system is the better output you get. Because of what they do, they make your signal out stronger, but doesn't improve your system's efficiency.

Because increasing CB power output is illegal (by Fed Law), just having an amp in the same vehicle as a CB will be seen by the FCC Enforcement folks as the same as it being hooked up. You can be subject to having your equipment confiscated and up to a $10,000 fine. If you have a HAM license, as long as the amp is NOT connected to the CB's antenna system, no violation occurs. So there's some good to come from having a General class Ham license.

Besides, they're not that hard to get...

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
I am an extra class op, and working on becoming an EMT, does that count? :) I've been at it for almost ten years now and constantly enjoy it.

Great to hear that. I am in the same boat as you - but have not been at Ham for 10 years yet. Starting EMT training in a couple of weeks.

Good luck drummer boy (I'm also a drummer - so we have some stuff in common. ;)