HALL AMBULANCE

BakoChiefsFan

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone! New to this forum, I’ve been lurking and reading for a few days now because I have orientation next week with Hall Ambulance. This forum has been extremely helpful with all the info and insights. So thank you all who contribute on here. Hope to talk to you all soon

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
And the Kern Co Cult claims yet another victim...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Pretty sure hall is far from the "dark side" (AMR)
This, It’s privatized EMS so it will forever be several steps removed from a government funded service.

Those who’ve only known Hall only know...Hall. AMR was, and is, a remarkably different private animal. That is of course, unless you find one of the divisions that still runs things with that “family feel” to it.

Hall still has that some of that feel, but it’s certainly fading away as the years pass. That’s the God’s honest truth.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
This, It’s privatized EMS so it will forever be several steps removed from a government funded service.

Those who’ve only known Hall only know...Hall. AMR was, and is, a remarkably different private animal. That is of course, unless you find one of the divisions that still runs things with that “family feel” to it.

Hall still has that some of that feel, but it’s certainly fading away as the years pass. That’s the God’s honest truth.
I came to Hall in 2014 and it's not the same as it was even back then, let alone 10 years ago.

Still not as bad as SOME places (Bowers/Rural Metro) that I've worked for.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I came to Hall in 2014 and it's not the same as it was even back then, let alone 10 years ago.

Still not as bad as SOME places (Bowers/Rural Metro) that I've worked for.

Bowers wasn’t bad at all. At least the NoHo div wasn’t. You’re just lucky to not have seen how ugly it can REALLY get with privates.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Bowers wasn’t bad at all. At least the NoHo div wasn’t. You’re just lucky to not have seen how ugly it can REALLY get with privates.
Oh I saw. From my relative comfort of Bowers lol.
But Bowers shouldn't be a standard anyone aims for. At least not the Bowers under the RM regime.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
It was great prior to Rural Metro. Call bonuses, movie passes, gift certificates, family picnics, taco trucks. As soon as RM came in, that all went bye bye. Hall is great compared to alot of other places. Theirs always a greener pasture but in So Cal with the shuttering and devouring of services it's great in comparison for offerings in So Cal.

Qulevrius

I was with Bowers since early 2016, when they just merged with AMR. Coming from AMR and, subsequently, another private in LACo, Bowers was a revelation. And now that I’m seeing how quickly CARE becomes same as AMR, I really miss the Bowers I knew.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
And now that I’m seeing how quickly CARE becomes same as AMR...
It really is remarkable to see how these companies bend over backwards for their fire contracts, and the unfortunate effect that it has, particularly on the non-fire-driven boots on the ground.

It’s bad enough private EMS doesn’t really privatize it’s priorities, even to its field staff. But, having a system in which the fire service is there to provide assistance, and almost always asks “what else can we (they) do for you?” is certainly so much more worth while, and one less thing to have to worry about.

Qulevrius

Having a system in which the fire service is there to provide assistance, and almost always asks “what else can we (they) do for you?” is certainly so much more worth while, and one less thing to have to worry about.

Unfortunately, the trade off of working for HALL is having to live in a middle of a very unhealthy nowhere. And for someone like myself, who has zero inclination to be ever associated with fire service, working on a private rig is a very powerful motivator. Maybe in a few years, if I ever decide to challenge the P-card, I’ll consider going part time with HALL, purely for a better prehospital clinical experience.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Unfortunately, the trade off of working for HALL is having to live in a middle of a very unhealthy nowhere.
Absolutely zero arguments from me here.
Maybe once the kids are off to college my wife and I can relocate out of state.

I wouldn’t mind returning to the ground to work for a hospital-based service that does CCT IFT’s as well as some reasonably spread out 911. P/B, or P/P staffing with downtime spent helping the ED staff sounds fair to me. It also sounds like a good way to burn through a 12-hour shift.

Reactions: NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Absolutely zero arguments from me here.
Maybe once the kids are off to college my wife and I can relocate out of state.

I wouldn’t mind returning to the ground to work for a hospital-based service that does CCT IFT’s as well as some reasonably spread out 911. P/B, or P/P staffing with downtime spent helping the ED staff sounds fair to me. It also sounds like a good way to burn through a 12-hour shift.
Thankfully we have a lot of options like that here.
My girlfriend works for a Hospital based service that recently opened up an EMT PICU/NICU shift for pediatric transports. When not on a transfer you help out on the floor. You can then augment your schedule with 911 if you wish.

We also have 2 large cities about 3 hours away that have robust medical hubs including fixed wing teams, and very good specialty hospitals with CCT teams.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My girlfriend works for a Hospital based service that recently opened up an EMT PICU/NICU shift for pediatric transports. When not on a transfer you help out on the floor. You can then augment your schedule with 911 if you wish.
Not to tangent this off of Hall, but my hospital used to do this. The full time people (we have 4, 2 on days and 2 on nights) were primarily patient care techs, on the floor doing tech work, until they got a PICU/NICU run, then they and the charge nurse left to do the transport. Only one guy enjoyed/tolerated the job, because he worked as an ER tech prior to getting into EMS. The rest HATED it, because they were hired by the EMS department, and then assigned to the PICU under the PICU's supervision (which often conflicted with the EMS rules). The nurses worked them for 12 straight, they had no downtime, and they either quit or got fired for pissing off the nurses before they could transfer to a 911 spot (I think only one guy was able to get off the floor full time and transfer to a 911 truck). And when we picked up OT to cover, there were nurses who didn't even bother to ask our names, referring to us as either the driver or the EMT when introducing us to the patients (but some were much better that others when it came to treating us like actual people).

Hopefully your girlfriend's hospital treats their EMTs better.

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
Not to tangent this off of Hall, but my hospital used to do this. The full time people (we have 4, 2 on days and 2 on nights) were primarily patient care techs, on the floor doing tech work, until they got a PICU/NICU run, then they and the charge nurse left to do the transport. Only one guy enjoyed/tolerated the job, because he worked as an ER tech prior to getting into EMS. The rest HATED it, because they were hired by the EMS department, and then assigned to the PICU under the PICU's supervision (which often conflicted with the EMS rules). The nurses worked them for 12 straight, they had no downtime, and they either quit or got fired for pissing off the nurses before they could transfer to a 911 spot (I think only one guy was able to get off the floor full time and transfer to a 911 truck). And when we picked up OT to cover, there were nurses who didn't even bother to ask our names, referring to us as either the driver or the EMT when introducing us to the patients (but some were much better that others when it came to treating us like actual people).

The hospital I work at now hates hiring (Care) folks or any "911" experienced folks due to them not lasting long haha. They can't get use to working 12 hours constantly walking back and forth.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Thankfully we have a lot of options like that here.

We also have 2 large cities about 3 hours away that have robust medical hubs including fixed wing teams, and very good specialty hospitals with CCT teams.

Where is this strange animal?

Non-profit privates are ok.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief

That sounds horrible. I don't know how well they'll treat them on the floor. I know they don't really sit, they float, as does the transport RN/RT.

Sounds like at your hospital the program was forced upon the nurses.
Where is this strange animal?

Non-profit privates are ok.
Want stranger?

The EMTs go on flights, too.

Springfield MO.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That's just weird. Unicorn Pegasus?