Had a great call yesterday...

emtfarva

Forum Captain
We were dispatched to the pedestrian accident yesterday. OUA we found 16 y/o f on the ground. From what we were told she had been standing on the back of the car and fell off when it started to roll. she ended up with a bilat skull fx. She was very messed up. Very confused. We brought her to our local hosp. They did a CT and some X-rays. They called back to have her transfered to Boston. We pulled some strings and took her up to the level 1. It was nice to see a call from start to finish, sort of. I guess stupid does keep us employed. <_<

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
....no need for the stupid comment..it was an accident...

Aren't most accidents the result of stupid decisions? I mean, if you made a good decision, chances are an accident would not have happened.

JonTullos

Forum Captain

Why would someone be standing on the back of a car? Just to see what happens? Come on... now if she were doing something and the car accidently rolled, yeah I could see your comment. However, if she knew the car was about to roll and she stayed there anyway, well, that wasn't a very smart decision and she may have to live the consequences for a long time.

Personal responsibility, FTW.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Aren't most accidents the result of stupid decisions? I mean, if you made a good decision, chances are an accident would not have happened.

I agree 100%.
The word "accident" implies, in itself, the situation would have been preventable (by GOOD decisions). Obviously that didn't happen here...

Sasha

Forum Chief
Get off your high horses!

The girl made a mistake, had an accident. Like you all are so perfect you've never made a decision that ends up hurting yourself!

An accident is an "Unseen or unplanned event or circumstance" in my book. People can have accidents with out being stupid or ignorant. Now the subject of this thread, probably not a bright idea. But guess what? She's hurt. So why does anyone feel the need to add insult to injury?

A little more respect for our patients, please!

Last edited by a moderator:

JAM-EMT

Forum Crew Member
INCIDENT is relatively insignificant event that MIGHT have serious consequences. In incident there is no serious injury nor death but might be some damage involved.

ACCIDENT is misfortune or mishap causing injury or death and damage as well.

HAZARD/RISK is exposure or possibility of incurring to danger or loss, exposure or volnerability to injury, death, loss, evil, etc.

NEAR MISS is an unplanned event that did not result in injury, illness, or damage - but had the potential to do so. Only a fortunate break in the chain of events prevented an injury, fatality or damage.

I would come to the conclusion that she took a RISK which resulted in an ACCIDENT.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Semantics, n.
1. Linguistics The study or science of meaning in language.
2. Linguistics The study of relationships between signs and symbols and what they represent. Also called semasiology.
3. The meaning or the interpretation of a word, sentence, or other language form: We're basically agreed; let's not quibble over semantics.
4. EMTinNEPA A really annoying excuse to have a lengthy argument about absolutely nothing at all other than one EMT's jaded opinion and another's wide-eyed idealism.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Actually if anyone has attended a PHTLS or ITLS course, one learns very soon there are NO such things as accidents. They are caused.

The girl was acting stupid and not thinking. Period. Purposeful or not is irrelevant. The incident occurred.

R/r 911

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Get off your high horses!

The girl made a mistake, had an accident. Like you all are so perfect you've never made a decision that ends up hurting yourself!

An accident is an "Unseen or unplanned event or circumstance" in my book. People can have accidents with out being stupid or ignorant. Now the subject of this thread, probably not a bright idea. But guess what? She's hurt. So why does anyone feel the need to add insult to injury?

A little more respect for our patients, please!

Sasha, you know I love you, but you need to take your own advice and get off your own high horse.

A posting from an EMS provider, on an internet forum meant for EMS providers, to discuss what happened during an EMS shift, with no names or pictures of pts, does not disrespect patients.

Disrespect would be calling her stupid to her face. This is just a discussion about a patient, who will never learn about this forum, let alone figure out the post was about her.

PS-- I am perfect!

PPS-- I still love you.... in a totally no creepy, internet forum peer, kind of way.

imurphy

Forum Captain
We were dispatched to the pedestrian accident yesterday. OUA we found 16 y/o f on the ground. From what we were told she had been standing on the back of the car and fell off when it started to roll. she ended up with a bilat skull fx. She was very messed up. Very confused. We brought her to our local hosp. They did a CT and some X-rays. They called back to have her transfered to Boston. We pulled some strings and took her up to the level 1. It was nice to see a call from start to finish, sort of. I guess stupid does keep us employed. <_<

I agree with the sentiment, it IS great to see a call from start to finish.

Back home, I was at a concert and brought a guy into hospital from it not breathing from a heroin (from what I remember) overdose.

Few weeks later, I was on an IFT from a local hospital and I was like "I remember that name.. how do I remember that..." and I recognized him.

Lost a leg from necormancing faciatis (sp) after shooting up there. Also had Hep-C. But I DID know what happened!

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Sasha, you know I love you, but you need to take your own advice and get off your own high horse.

A posting from an EMS provider, on an internet forum meant for EMS providers, to discuss what happened during an EMS shift, with no names or pictures of pts, does not disrespect patients.

Disrespect would be calling her stupid to her face. This is just a discussion about a patient, who will never learn about this forum, let alone figure out the post was about her.

And on top of all that, it WAS a pretty stupid way to get hurt.

There is nothing wrong with a little humor at the expense of our patients, so long as we aren't doing it in front of them or their families. It's the funny and/or rewarding experiences that keep us coming back.

Case in point: Last night I had a guy try to do that "Car Surfing" thing after one-to-many drinks. Car went on the curb, hit two mailboxes, and he went flying off and broke his arm. Ulna popped through the skin on the back. When we got there, all he kept saying is that he would have broke his buddy's record if he didn't have a bad alignment.

This, my friends, was a stupid call. We laughed about it very much for the next few hours. He was a stupid guy that did something incredibly stupid and thus got injured. On top of all that, he didn't LEARN from his experience, and from all accounts sounds like he going to stupidly try again once his truck gets an alignment and the cops aren't watching his house for parties. He probably will be even stupider and not wait until his current injury is healed.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Another one;

Working at JPS, the local level 1 trauma center. Guy came in to the ED with a compound tib/fib because he felt like it was a good idea to go on his pogo stick at 5 am drunk.

If that's not stupid, then I quit this job.

OP
OP
emtfarva

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Okay, okay.

I WAS NOT CALLING THE Pt STUPID, ONLY HER ACTIONS. :excl:

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
I have the opportunity on a regular basis to see how calls go from start to finish. I guess that's one advantage to working in a small area. It is pretty cool to see how they turn out!

My opinion here, alcohol involvement nearly ALWAYS results in stupid decisions! This winter we had a gentlemen (I use the term loosely) who had been drinking. It was a very cold night, around -45 with the wind chill, and he decided he was too warm so he went outside to sit on the porch. Unfortunately, he passed out outside, and his friends inside were so drunk they didn't notice he didn't come back in for a few hours.

The emts who were on the call said his arms were frozen stiff when they got there. He was very lucky though, he only lost the tips of several fingers!