Guess what???

CotWoman

Forum Crew Member
Well I have been searching for jobs in DC for 2 weeks. I applied at a few ambulance companies and also as an Admin for other companies (that's my background). Well, I emailed Fairfax County in VA my resume for an Admin job, and she emailed me back saying they want me to go for the Public Safety Communicator position instead. The pay is pretty decent, and I would only have to work 3 days a week. I emailed her and told her I would put in for it and she forwarded my email to the HR department and copied me, asking them to set up a test for me as soon as possible. She told me they would probably start me at around $35,200 a year. I think it's pretty decent for DC, right??

Anyways, that's my news for now... I will keep you updated...

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Congrats. I think Fairfax Co. is a pretty good system to work in. I have heard it was anyway.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Hey, it's a job in the system - you can move around from there!

Is that a dispatch/communications job?

OP
OP
C

CotWoman

Forum Crew Member
Hey, it's a job in the system - you can move around from there!

Is that a dispatch/communications job?

Yes, it's for 911 Dispatch. I figured if I can get into the county, then I am set... I think they saw that I was an EMT and immediately put my resume in for the PSC job.

It's not working on a bus, but hey, this is a start for me. Maybe I can even get senority on my schedule and put myself through medic school? I will just keep up on my EMT certification.

Question, do you have to take continuing education classes for the NREMT to keep your certs?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Yes, it's for 911 Dispatch. I figured if I can get into the county, then I am set... I think they saw that I was an EMT and immediately put my resume in for the PSC job.

It's not working on a bus, but hey, this is a start for me. Maybe I can even get senority on my schedule and put myself through medic school? I will just keep up on my EMT certification.

Question, do you have to take continuing education classes for the NREMT to keep your certs?

Yeah, you need CEUs to recert. I forgot how many, but they're easy to get. I think 24 hours.

And 911 dispatch is a GREAT place to be. We have a couple County 911 dispatchers working for us, and another guy is 99% with the recruitment process for a City dispatch gig. Great experience!

jeepmedic

Forum Captain

In Virginia if you go to the recert classes for the county your in and submit your CE cards then all you have to do when you get your letter from the Commonwealth stating that you are eleigable to recert is mail that letter in with a copy of your hours that you can print off of the OEMS website to NREMT and you are good to go.