It isn't what you think it is.

Attachments

• 1348348549225.jpg
    1348348549225.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 304

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Pericarditis.

(All I can see from my phone is diffuse elevations in almost all leads)

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Nope.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Early repolarization?

The R waves are progessing in size, no reciprocal changes and the ST segment is upwardly concave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Well it looks like a inf/lateral STEMI. Give the II/III ratio and appearance of I it suggests a left Cx occlusion. Differentials would include occlusion due to thrombosis or coronary aneurysm and ventricular anuerysm/apical ballooning (i.e. takotsubo). If it's something more esoteric like a weird myocarditis/pericarditis then there's not much you can do about that.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Damn, we have a winner already.

Takotsubo's. Although it wasn't figured out until after the pt got out of the cath lab, where they found 100% clean coronary arteries. Our MD called it an inferior-lateral with possible posterior extension prior to the cath results coming back.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Well it looks like a inf/lateral STEMI. Give the II/III ratio and appearance of I it suggests a left Cx occlusion. Differentials would include occlusion due to thrombosis or coronary aneurysm and ventricular anuerysm/apical ballooning (i.e. takotsubo). If it's something more esoteric like a weird myocarditis/pericarditis then there's not much you can do about that.

:huh:

I quit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Just how we roll up in BC, Canada boys :)

Good case, I'd be curious to know the pt particulars as well. I've only seen a couple but they were interesting because they had the classic signs of being a young female with ST changes. Apparently you can get some good pulmonary edema as well (which makes sense) but haven't seen that.

Cheers.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

75 year old female, running to catch the bus, started feeling dizzy/light headed and nauseous and had a near syncopal episode. Laid down on a bus bench and bystanders dumped water on her and fanned her to cool her off. By the time we arrived she said the nausea had resolved after she laid down, and she was still feeling dizzy, but it wasn't as bad.

No history, no surgeries, no meds, no allergies. Healthy, and looked at least 10 years younger than she was. No chest pain, no SOB, no on going nausea. Only symptom was continued dizziness.

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Interesting. Bet ya won't see that again anytime soon. That's an easy nitro, asa, plavix, +/- analgesia and off to the cath lab though. Until I get my tri-corder anyway.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I hadn't heard of takotsubo until a few weeks.

Patient was being discharged post a severe enough case it sent her into massive heart failure.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
I had never heard of this before. Very interesting case. Thanks for sharing, Aidey. :)

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

You guys are killing me. Takotsubo's is the other name for stress induced cardiomyopathy.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I understand what part of the ECG in particular directed you to immediately know it was such a random condition :sad:

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

I understand what part of the ECG in particular directed you to immediately know it was such a random condition :sad:

Me? I didn't have a bloody clue until I heard from the doc after the cath lab results came back. Although apparently anytime an EKG shows massive left ventricular dysfunction it is a possibility.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Me? I didn't have a bloody clue until I heard from the doc after the cath lab results came back. Although apparently anytime an EKG shows massive left ventricular dysfunction it is a possibility.

I was more gearing my questions towards supermedic...errr.. i mean Merck.

Freaking smart Canadians :glare: