GS-05 grade level?

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
I'm trying to figure out if my experience qualifies me for a parks service EMT job. Minimum qualification is for the GS-05 grade level. I have 2 summers full-time working as an EMT at a summer camp, as well as 2 years volunteering as an EMT. I also will have 1 full year of college completed before the job starts.
Is that enough to get through this step of the process?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Contact them. Find a ranger and ask.

TeamCutz

Forum Probie
if you take a look at the USAJobs.gov site, they list the minimum GS-levels accepted for the job. The GS-levels typically have the experience associated with the job in that specific field. Take a look at the Park Ranger job description and line them up!

But really, it never hurts to apply of you don't reach the minimum, I've seen some under qualified people get the job because they have to fill vacancy...

Drax

Forum Captain
I am somewhat familiar with the GS system. I can tell you one thing. GS goes all the way up to 15. Looking to land a particular GS scale job is looking at it the wrong way, rather look at the job itself and ask yourself, can you do what would be expected of you. Furthermore, apply anyway. GS-05 is low on that totem pole, not trying to knock you or anything, and I think based on your stated experience you should have no trouble getting this position.

GS is relative to salary.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
I think based on your stated experience you should have no trouble getting this position.

As a husband of a seasonal NPS law enforcement park ranger (who also has her EMT), I'd be only cautiously optimistic.

It is extremely competitive at all grades and veterans get points preferences.

Absolutely, the OP should apply, but the hiring process is a dispassionate scoring of a skills and experience survey to even be on the "certification list" that is passed onto the hiring manager.

Best wishes on the OPs efforts...depending on the duty location, it can be a wonderful experience.

Drax

Forum Captain
As a husband of a seasonal NPS law enforcement park ranger (who also has her EMT), I'd be only cautiously optimistic.

It is extremely competitive at all grades and veterans get points preferences.

Absolutely, the OP should apply, but the hiring process is a dispassionate scoring of a skills and experience survey to even be on the "certification list" that is passed onto the hiring manager.

Best wishes on the OPs efforts...depending on the duty location, it can be a wonderful experience.

Very valid point. EMS is so competitive it seems all over. That and you're right about veterans preference.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I think knowing if a given GS rating will support you is a pertinent consideration.

GS-5 is not going to get you that new snowmobile you always wanted. Especially if you will spend lots on billeting and other expenses.