Grad Degrees

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes. Prior to exploring undergrad programs I did some research on my A.S. Unfortunately because I was tied to a vocational program I couldn’t seem to find one that would allow me this option. It worked out in the end, but still, it’s pretty sad how even paramedics (I know of) who went to a J.C. and have this available to them twiddle their thumbs over it.

It doesn’t sound like many FD’s are propents of this. Perhaps turnaround time and effort are their biggest concerns.
Those are a concern for sure. I am not suggesting these courses need to be completed while we have the folks in school off the line. But maybe a "you will get your AAS in the next three years or pay back school" could be worked in.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Those are a concern for sure. I am not suggesting these courses need to be completed while we have the folks in school off the line. But maybe a "you will get your AAS in the next three years or pay back school" could be worked in.
Three year contracts are common place in the hospital. I signed a paper that I’d have my BSN within 3 years or be fired..

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Three year contracts are common place in the hospital. I signed a paper that I’d have my BSN within 3 years or be fired..
We did three year contracts for both paramedic school and the fire academy for our single role paramedics. The current chief thought that sent a weird message so they’re gone. We still do three years of continuous employment following a tuition reimbursement check however.

I’m in backgrounds for a new FD and their tuition reimbursement is 5k and a 5% stipend for a masters degree. That was a big selling point for me.

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Out of sheer curiosity:

Are degree-pursuers more prevalent in the fire service other than dudes looking to promote up or out like you all, or is it like EMS where you usually don’t meet people like this other than on these forums, SM, and/ or conferences?

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Everyone at my job currently working on a degree is looking to use it for promotional purposes. The only staff working on graduate degrees are chiefs, aside from myself.

Pretty rare at my previous third service for anyone to work on a degree for any purpose other then trying to get out of EMS—nursing, psychology, RRT, etc.

Over 50% of our FD hires in the past ten years already had four year degrees. Not sure if that makes us an outlier but given that battalion chiefs are only required to have a two year degree right now, not a lot of newer guys are pursuing higher Ed.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Over 50% of our FD hires in the past ten years already had four year degrees. Not sure if that makes us an outlier but given that battalion chiefs are only required to have a two year degree right now, not a lot of newer guys are pursuing higher Ed.
In your opinion, is there a difference in this department overall be suppression or medical with services delivered in comparison to what the norm is, or considered to be, in the fire service?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The overwhelming majority of firefighters I know don't have degrees. The overwhelming majority of firefighters I know who have degrees have degrees that are unrelated to the fire service. Anecdotally, I don't know any chief officers who have been chief officers for most than 5 years who have graduate degrees; I do know of one who does have an MPA

Many EMS providers in my area either have an unrelated bachelors degree, or no degree at all and a paramedic cert. Maybe they have a two year associates degree in paramedic, if they went to a degree granting program as part of their paramedic education.

I don't know many certificate only paramedics who went on to earn their AAS in paramedic science after they had been in the field for more than 5 years.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
In your opinion, is there a difference in this department overall be suppression or medical with services delivered in comparison to what the norm is, or considered to be, in the fire service?
Tidbit from my world.

I work for a fire department with ALS transport and a good protocol. We have two different third service EMS agencies that we regularly run mutual aid with, and I have been less than impressed with both.

I listened to one of their medics diagnose a blatantly paced rhythm as a bundle branch block, then proceeded to tell the patient that this meant one of their blood vessels was blocked but it wasn’t a big deal and they could just followup with their doctor later.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Tidbit from my world.

I work for a fire department with ALS transport and a good protocol. We have two different third service EMS agencies that we regularly run mutual aid with, and I have been less than impressed with both.

I listened to one of their medics diagnose a blatantly paced rhythm as a bundle branch block, then proceeded to tell the patient that this meant one of their blood vessels was blocked but it wasn’t a big deal and they could just followup with their doctor later.
For sure. Not a knock on fire vs EMS. Truthfully it seems oddly individualized, the pursuit of higher education outside of nursing that basically mandates this. But then, I hear the nurse crowd going on about the educational machine that are the nursing institutions. Just wondered. I do know the service does not make the medic.

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
No not really. We’re just your average five station department in the burbs. I will say our paramedics are in general better than most of the area. We don’t have a bunch of veteran dudes that can run everything thrown at them in their sleep, but we do have a lot of guys and girls that make good, safe choices. I feel fortunate that of our 20ish firemedics, only one is a liability and he has the highest seniority on the job and will retire soon I hope. I do think it helps that a lot of the medics have four year degrees and have learned good communication skills.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
No not really. We’re just your average five station department in the burbs. I will say our paramedics are in general better than most of the area. We don’t have a bunch of veteran dudes that can run everything thrown at them in their sleep, but we do have a lot of guys and girls that make good, safe choices. I feel fortunate that of our 20ish firemedics, only one is a liability and he has the highest seniority on the job and will retire soon I hope. I do think it helps that a lot of the medics have four year degrees and have learned good communication skills.
This is kinda what I was asking. Good to know, and I’d have to agree that they’re more than likely better off for it because of their formal education, as is the service area.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I was looking at my school’s dual-degree pathway, there is a B.S. Paramedicine—>MHA option. Interesting…

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I wok for the Army, (Civilian), and we have to do the "I will work '3 x' any training the Army pays for. I did a 7.5 hour class they paid for and had to sign a form that I would work 22.5 hours afterwards before i took my ABLS cert and quit.