Got my Paramedic...now what?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
While I may be a new medic, that doesn't mean I don't have the ability or knowledge to instruct an EMT Course. Myself and another medic have taught two complete EMT Courses together and between the two we are 39/40 first time pass on the NREMT. No I don't run as many calls as a medic on a rig, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to instruct. There are plenty of traditional medics that have years of experience that have no business teaching.

So...by your view, a rook who just passed the police academy is qualified to teach the police academy..? Nope.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
While I may be a new medic, that doesn't mean I don't have the ability or knowledge to instruct an EMT Course. Myself and another medic have taught two complete EMT Courses together and between the two we are 39/40 first time pass on the NREMT. No I don't run as many calls as a medic on a rig, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to instruct. There are plenty of traditional medics that have years of experience that have no business teaching.
Let me see if I understand your situation:
  1. you have never worked full time in EMS, only LEO
  2. you have never worked full time on an ambulance
  3. you have never worked full time as a medic
  4. you never worked a job where EMS was a large priority of your job
  5. as of two years ago, " I don't know very much about being a good competent medic" and "I work for a law enforcement agency so running EMS calls isn't my first priority"
  6. any calls that you do run, it's as a cop, maybe acting as a first responder, so you get basic info and then turn the patient over to the ambulance.
Do I have that all right?

My former college hired someone like you to be their full time paramedic instructor. This person had with 0 paramedic experience, but experience working as a teacher. None of her students learned anything from her, and whenever there was an assistant instructor, they wall wanted to work with them. After a year, she was reassigned to teach an EMT class two nights a week, while experienced paramedics who were instructors taught her classes. She was recent let go, and was told to come back after she has some EMS experience.

I'm curious: what is the experience level of the other medic? are they also a no real experience paramedic? or did they work full time in EMS before getting hired by PD, and now they are running the class because they are an experienced provider?

I don't doubt that you can read the powerpoint slides, and evaluate the NREMT skills stations. And maybe give some test written by someone else. But do you know any relevant information that isn't on the slides? How often do you add content to your class presentations? How much real world experience do you have applying the content you are instructing in? I'm betting slim to none.

You might be the greatest instructor ever, but I bet no company would EVER hire you to teach an EMT class. The only reason you are teaching is because you already work there, and passed your paramedic course. And quite honestly, it's insulting to actual EMS instructors that you are allowed to do it.

But kudos on the 39/40 first time pass rate. Do you let rookies teach at the police academy too? After all, they passed the class. I'm sure they can have similar pass rates as you have with EMT class.

Summit

Critical Crazy
This thread is 1-3 years old depending on which post from op you're responding to...