got my first job ( questions )

EMTJosh9

Forum Probie
Hello everyone I got my first job and have a couple questions .. I've read my orientation overview and everything seems straight forward but I am wondering about these ..

1. for part of my orientation it says i will be doing OSHA blood and airborne pathogens awareness, and immunizations / TB testing. I've already done this with the FD im in , will i have to re do them ?

2. Vehicle operations : How did this part work in your companies? I'm going in without EVOC , Do you need to have that or get it to drive? or do you just do an in-house course and get qualified on the ambulance?

3. It says after completing the orientation i'll be assigned a field training officer, did you guys get one when you first started? or is it only some companies? How does this work ( if you have been assigned one ) How long until you can be cleared and not need one?

( I understand this is not very descriptive but base it off your experiences where you work )

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Congratulations!

1- yes you will do it again, per OSHA.

2- In most states, employers are required to provide EVOC. I know some states are different but I am sure if you were supposed to get it yourself you would know that by now (ie. you wouldn't have gotten hired). One company I worked for did 2 days with some time in classroom and some time in the bus, another company I worked for showed us a video and called it a day. This should be clearly outlined in your handbook.

3- Every company is different. FTO time is a combination of hours + proficiency. You ride until your hours are up, plus more if the FTO doesn't think you are ready to hit the streets. For BLS it is usually a handful of shifts. This should be clearly outlined in your handbook.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
First congrats man!

1- Yeah you need to do the OSHA awareness classes, if you already have your immunizations and you can provide your employer proof you should be good. The TB test it depends on when you got it last, depending on your company you may have to do it again (aint that big of a deal).

2- I got hired without EVOC, during (my) orientation it was 2 days in the classroom and a day out on the track. Yes you need it to drive at my company (I'm assuming yours as well).

3- Yes both companies I have worked for I have been assigned a FTO, its a fairly common thing among ambulance companies throughout the country. At my first company I did 8 shifts, second company its a minimum of 10 shifts. Again depends on your company on how long you're in field training. Like Ewok says you ride until your hours are up and your FTO is confident in your abilities, if your FTO doesn't feel like you're ready then you can bet on a couple more shifts before you're cleared. This should be in your handbook or covered in orientation. Hope this helps.

robinhood2015

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone I got my first job and have a couple questions .. I've read my orientation overview and everything seems straight forward but I am wondering about these ..

1. for part of my orientation it says i will be doing OSHA blood and airborne pathogens awareness, and immunizations / TB testing. I've already done this with the FD im in , will i have to re do them ?

2. Vehicle operations : How did this part work in your companies? I'm going in without EVOC , Do you need to have that or get it to drive? or do you just do an in-house course and get qualified on the ambulance?

3. It says after completing the orientation i'll be assigned a field training officer, did you guys get one when you first started? or is it only some companies? How does this work ( if you have been assigned one ) How long until you can be cleared and not need one?

( I understand this is not very descriptive but base it off your experiences where you work )

I tried messaging but I'm too new I think...where were you hired at? I'm waiting to hear about my orientation that starts next Monday...