Got my first IV's out of the way...

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Had an internship yesterday. Showed up an hour and a half early to help check off the truck and go over some things I wasn't 100% on. Toned out for first patient, and the preceptor throws me into the mix. B)

First three patients that required IV access, I successfully started the IV's on first attempt.
Fourth patient, I felt the pop, got the flash, then we hit a big pot hole...:sad: Don't know if I blew the vein before the pot hole or not...but ended the night on a missed IV. :sad:

The crew I rode with was really good. Very intelligent, great interaction with the patients, and were great to work with. They just threw me in there in a few situations and let me work what I could and helped watch over me.

The crew chief had some very inspiring things to say to me at the end of the shift...so I was very happy with the whole internship.

That is all....

-Matt

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Huge weight off you're shoulders after those first couple IV's eh? congrats.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Congratulations, it feels good huh?? Don't stress to much about the one you did'nt get as this will certainly not be the last... There are two humbling procedures in this profession: IVs and Intubations.

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks...it felt good to get them out of the way. I have two internships this next week back to back. Hopefully will get a few more chances.

-Matt