Got an offer! But should I keep looking?

jam3rz

Forum Probie
I just got an offer from a BLS company in Glendale, CA to work for them!

However, the position is part-time (I wanted to be full-time), and there are no benefits.

Is it considered unethical/unprofessional for me to accept this position and continue looking for another position where I could be full-time and get benefits (health, dental, etc)?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No unethical or frowned upon at all. Find the job you want, but don't turn down jobs you get... remember the unemployment rate?

8jimi8

CFRN
Taking a part time job can ensure that you continue to eat until you get someone who will actually support your life. Don't be scared to get yours.

OP
OP
J

jam3rz

Forum Probie
Thanks for the prompt responses!

If it isn't frowned upon to continue looking for another job, is there at least a minimum period of time that I should keep this position?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
2 week notice. Nothing more, nothing less.

No need to tell them you're still looking.

SR17

Forum Crew Member
Congrats on the job man.

See if there is a way you can work your way into full-time status. If its the money, try and pick up shifts if you can.

8jimi8

CFRN
2 week notice. Nothing more, nothing less.

No need to tell them you're still looking.

I'm gonna professionally disagree.

6 months is the minimum amount of time you should hold the job. 1 year is MUCH better. And as Linuss stated, do not BURN your bridge, give 2 weeks notice.

If you do get another job while you have this first job, then it might be acceptable to quit your other job earlier than 6 months, but you shouldn't use it on your resume after that, if you quit before then.

Preferably, you would keep your new full time and your first part time job for at least a year. Then employers will see that you are a hard worker who will put in the hours that they might need you for. Even better if you can get into paramedic school while you do both jobs. (or once you get into school you could quit the part time job)

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
If you wait around for a full time EMT job and you have no experience as an EMT, you might be waiting forever.

OP
OP
J

jam3rz

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the responses!

I have decided to take this offer and just continue looking to see if I can find a full time job. Like everyone said, at least it is an opportunity for me to get some experience under my belt, and a paycheck in the bank.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
My take is what most of the others have said. I was and still am in the same position. I was offered an EMT-IT position with no experience and the job was for a paid-on-call service. They needed people and I needed somewhere to get some experience, so we both benefitted. Since then I have also taken another part time position with an ALS service where I am getting a lot of field experience. Next week I am interviewing for a position in an urgent care setting that offers benefits. The big key is getting your foot in the door somewhere to get some experience under your belt. One thing I have found is with no experience it is tough to find a job. Once someone does hire you, job offers pop up all over the place, at least for me they did.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
You've just increased your value as a candidate because you are working, unless, of course, they're looking for cheap. But that's okay for you, too, isn't it because you're looking for Bennies!

My suggestion is now you don't have to jump through hoops so hard because you have a safety net. If you think holding out for a bit will land you a better spot, then take a little time.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I'm gonna professionally disagree.

6 months is the minimum amount of time you should hold the job. 1 year is MUCH better. And as Linuss stated, do not BURN your bridge, give 2 weeks notice.

If you do get another job while you have this first job, then it might be acceptable to quit your other job earlier than 6 months, but you shouldn't use it on your resume after that, if you quit before then.

Preferably, you would keep your new full time and your first part time job for at least a year. Then employers will see that you are a hard worker who will put in the hours that they might need you for. Even better if you can get into paramedic school while you do both jobs. (or once you get into school you could quit the part time job)

I agree with all of the above. Regardless, I think that employers will understand why you quit a PT job w/o benefits for a FT job, if you want to leave them on your resume.