Got a medic job

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I am changing careers, it is a pay cut but I have prepared for it and should not have a lifestyle change. I am happy about having more off days and even happier that I will look forward to going to work instead of hating work.

The service only has 3 lead for cardiac monitor, but I will be working for another service part time that does have 12 lead. I want to keep my skills sharp. Anyhow there is 7 days of orientation, following by 7 shifts as a ride along. When that is done I am by myself. Working 24 on / 48 off. Getting a little nervous, but this is what I have studied/trained so hard for.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
There's still places using 3 lead? Wow!

Yeah I concur, that is why I am just using this as a stepping stone. My part-time place has lifepak 15's. Why show up to play video games with a nintendo 64, when you can come in with a xbox 360?

Maybe some services can't afford it, but it definitely is needed to diagnose STEMI pre-hospital. A 3 lead is just rate/rhythm, but its experience and a foot in the door.

8jimi8

CFRN
Do us proud Rhan!! Good work, keep it up!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Just remember, you can get something like 9 of 12 leads out of a 3 lead monitor... (well, 6 of them are approximated) if you use enough electrodes and print out diagnostic quality strips... but it does take time to do. I used to like use MCL1 on some patients as I noticed that sometimes I'd get less artifact with that than with Lead II. What was fun, though, was my supervisor didn't think that lead was OK to use in that county (it had been for years)... If I'd had a 5-lead monitor, that would have flipped her lid as I'd have had it showing Lead II and V1 (typically). I miss using the Propaq Encore... but that company didn't have one. :D

Anyway, congratulations on getting a job as a medic. You should do just fine. Get through the next 2 weeks (or so) and let the real learning begin!

Last edited by a moderator:

NorCal

Forum Crew Member
Congratulations on the new job. I know the feeling of hating what you do, and although you may make less, its hard to put a price on quality of life.

Good for you !!

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Just remember, you can get something like 9 of 12 leads out of a 3 lead monitor... (well, 6 of them are approximated) if you use enough electrodes and print out diagnostic quality strips... but it does take time to do. I used to like use MCL1 on some patients as I noticed that sometimes I'd get less artifact with that than with Lead II. What was fun, though, was my supervisor didn't think that lead was OK to use in that county (it had been for years)... If I'd had a 5-lead monitor, that would have flipped her lid as I'd have had it showing Lead II and V1 (typically). I miss using the Propaq Encore... but that company didn't have one. :D

Anyway, congratulations on getting a job as a medic. You should do just fine. Get through the next 2 weeks (or so) and let the real learning begin!

Yeah I could use modified chest lead but like you said it takes extra time.