Google Translate

eonefireemt3

Forum Crew Member
So, I was wondering if anyone else has had much opportunity to use Google Translate in the field. If so, did you find it to be a useful tool or more of a hindrance?

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
I've only used it on long scene to hospital transport times when there's nothing better to do than just sit and have a conversation with the patient.

For medically pertinent information or an emergent situation, we have flash cards and several English to ______(Spanish/French)_____ medical terminology/question lists.

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
I've only used it on long scene to hospital transport times when there's nothing better to do than just sit and have a conversation with the patient.

For medically pertinent information or an emergent situation, we have flash cards and several English to ______(Spanish/French)_____ medical terminology/question lists.

I should add, using Google Translate did work out well when I have used it. The translations are a bit rough, but it makes due. Not like we're having very in depth conversations, mostly job/family/hobby discussions.

OP
OP
E

eonefireemt3

Forum Crew Member
We used it once for a German lady at the airport. It worked pretty well. But I find you have to use it in conversation mode and explain to the patient how to use it. Otherwise, the software never works right.

wadford

Forum Crew Member
I've only ever used it once and it worked well. I would suggest though, if you know that you have a large population that speaks french/spanish/german what have you, to learn enough to get you through a basic assessment. I found a Spanish for EMS book a few years back and it's been a great tool for me. I'm sure that they have them for other languages as well. If not type in your assessment questions into Google translate for whichever language you need and learn it that way.