Good Samaritan's car destroyed

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
"Paramedics explored every opportunity to get them out of the vehicle. However, in the end they had to get the fire service to cut the roof off and take them out on back boards.

*facepalm*

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
*facepalm*

triple_facepalm.jpg

OP
OP
F

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
This was actually on a Facebook page, "The Paramedic's Edge".

There are people over there trying to justify it. " By putting those patients in a car that car became part of the scene."

Aidey

This was actually on a Facebook page, "The Paramedic's Edge".

There are people over there trying to justify it. " By putting those patients in a car that car became part of the scene."

And this is reason number 237 EMS is doomed.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hate to defend stupidity, but when you repeatedly force it into their heads that any neck and back pain needs to be boarded and collared, or else people end of paralyzed, lives are lost, babies die, you get sued, lose your job, and end up living in the poorhouse, what do you expect?

Aidey

I might buy that excuse if this hadn't been in the UK. Even then it is an extraordinarily shaky excuse for idiotic behavior.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Had a similar deal where the pt was helped into the back seat of her own '66 Mustang by a bystander doctor...a PODIATRIST. We got her out with short board, to long board, to litter. I think we might have damaged her passenger front seat. She wasn't hurt that badly, but it was how we rolled there in Bedrock.

And cut a Tony Lama boot off the other guy who caused the accident. He cried.
:rolleyes:

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
"We can only apologise to Mrs Dunlop for the inconvenience of that."

Something tells me that they'll be doing more than apologizing if insurance refuses to cover the damage. I mean seriously. Have they not heard of a short board or a KED?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
"You walked over to the car and sat down? Ok, go ahead and get up and on to my stretcher"

Idiotic based protocols or not, that's all it takes.

mycrofft

Just to be a quarterback, how about busting out the back window and sliding the pt out through that on a board and KED?

Hence the "E" in "K E D".<_<

Oh, wait. Wasn't that car's owner the abusive ex-spouse of the on-scene commander?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Looks like someone's getting a brand new car courtesy of the FD.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Just to be a quarterback, how about busting out the back window and sliding the pt out through that on a board and KED?

Hence the "E" in "K E D".<_<

Oh, wait. Wasn't that car's owner the abusive ex-spouse of the on-scene commander?

That was my first thought... as to the last point... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

mycrofft

FD isn't obligated to replace it, any more than the police are obligated to repair or clean your house after they toss it and dust it for prints as a crime scene.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
FD isn't obligated to replace it, any more than the police are obligated to repair or clean your house after they toss it and dust it for prints as a crime scene.

Within reasonable limits. If it can be proven in a court that removing the car's roof was needless and/or reckless, damages would be in order.

DrParasite

your right.

until the lawsuit comes, then the judge orders them to buy her a new car. then they will be obligated to replace it.

DrParasite

have you ever actually done that? I chalk that up to an old EMS tale (sorta like LSBs do anything, all patients need a NRB at 15lpm and every patient needs an IV and an ekg to rule out a silent MI)

I've been the sizes of many of today's cars back windows, as well as the circumferential side of my patients without the ked on. plus it's not a straight pull directly out the back window onto a LSB. Bottom line, if they are going out the back window, I'm getting both C posts cut. And since on most cards once you put tools to the car it's totaled, probably both B posts cut, and then relief cuts made between A and B so the FD can flip the roof up. Now I have enough space to operate.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I'm Just curious as to what the position of the patients were in the back seat. In my basic class we spent a couple study group days practicing removal from our povs. It wasn't always easy, but we managed to figure out how to do it from every seated position in about 12 cars from a full size van to a compact.

mycrofft

I can't help it. I can't.

"Did they try the doors first?".

Oh, wait, maybe they peeled it so the subjects could walk out with C-collars only, to save them a spine board trip?
:rofl: