Go Ahead And Tell US

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Id like to know how long everyone has worked in ems, and if your spouse works in ems as well. If so, do you find it harder to deal with than if just one of you worked ems?

I've been an emt for 7 years, I worked as a medic for Williamson County Sheriffs department before coming here to Austin Co EMS. My so works for Houston fd, as well as Westlake fd, and I love our schedules together. Sometimes it gets hard, for the most part, its awesome. Hfd works 24 on 24 off 24 on and 5 days off, and he works about 8 days at his westlake job. I normally work anywhere from 13 to 16 12 hour shifts for acems. So all in all we have about 15 days a month of together. I love it.

What about you ?

tydek07

Forum Captain
Volunteered as an EMT for 6 months before heading to medic school. After getting my medic, I have been working at F-M Ambulance since last June... so for about 8 months.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
I'm still a student, but that schedule certainly seems nice to me! I'm very independent, and need my space away from paramours. But I'm also a firm believer in "Don't get your honey where you get your money.":p

Sasha

Forum Chief
I've been an EMT less than a year. My medic class is over March 18th. My significant other is a police officer so no, he's not in EMS but he is in public safety. I'm currently unemployed, by choice, so I get to spend as much time with him as I can tolerate between studying, ride times and goofing off here. I used to work for a company that did both 911 and IFT responses, and I prefered IFT. I don't plan to work long as a paramedic, I'm currently in the process of applying to nursing school.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Upcoming my 32'nd year. Yeah, I started when I was in diapers :D

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah, I started when you were in diapers

I fixed that typo for ya, gramps :p

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I'm close to Rid on this one... 33 years for me. I have so many ex wives they no longer have names, just numbers. Ex #1, Ex #2, Ex #....

This is interesting though. At one of my host providers that I ride with, seven female paramedics are in the process of divorce. All are married to firemen or cops!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Have been involved in EMS in one form or another since 89. I am not quite as old as that dinosaur Rid but I am still from the mesozoic era. :)

My wife is considerably smarter than I am and has never been involved in EMS or medicine. She knew early on my passion for medicine and that I work nights, weekends, and holidays, we have never had any conflicts.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I'm close to Rid on this one... 33 years for me. I have so many ex wives they no longer have names, just numbers. Ex #1, Ex #2, Ex #....

This is interesting though. At one of my host providers that I ride with, seven female paramedics are in the process of divorce. All are married to firemen or cops!

If you would quit finding wives by saying I can help you become a model, Mr Photographer the marriages might last longer.:p

imurphy

Forum Captain
Vol time: 1996 Till went pro in 2004 (had convinced myself I was happy being an engineer!)

Unemployed for 6 months from August due to moving here to the US, and now working again about 2 weeks.

So yeah. A while!

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
If you would quit finding wives by saying I can help you become a model, Mr Photographer the marriages might last longer.:p

Nope!! No more gold diggers for me! I enjoy flipping my ID badge around that id's me as a "Scout Photographer for Girls Gone Wild". :p Yeah baby.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
nope!! No more gold diggers for me! I enjoy flipping my id badge around that id's me as a "scout photographer for girls gone wild". :p yeah baby.

lol. :) 10

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My husband began his EMS career in 1985. We had been together for 3 years at that point. He became a paramedic in 89 and has been working as a firefighter paramedic since then. I worked in hospital purchasing from 88 to 94 with vollie EMS admin role off and on since 86. Became an EMT 9 years ago.

My husband and I are both very strong willed, independent people and we raised two boys with the same traits. Neither of us fall apart if a dinner out gets postponed or plans change due to lack of sleep from a shift. I've cooked many a holiday dinner for his shift while on duty and spent many anniversaries, birthdays alone. I'm not overly sentimental so it has never really bothered me.

I think that the core of our relationship sucess has been that we are both absolutely secure in the knowledge of our place in the others' heart. I don't see his schedule or work duties as a sign of him loving the job more than me. He understands that when I leave a dinner half-eaten on the table to respond to a call, it doesn't mean I don't care about him, it just means he'll have to do the dishes.

We are both able to take time together and to turn off the radio when our personal lives are a priority. We don't attend EMS conventions together or wear matching fire department jackets. Boundaries are good. Knowing when we need to turn off the EMS brain and focus on fishing or gardening together is key.

Face it. 50% of all marriages fail. EMS is full of type A personalities who have relationship issues outside of the EMS challenges. It can be done, but it really takes work.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
He understands that when I leave a dinner half-eaten on the table to respond to a call, it doesn't mean I don't care about him, it just means he'll have to do the dishes.

We are both able to take time together and to turn off the radio when our personal lives are a priority. We don't attend EMS conventions together or wear matching fire department jackets. Boundaries are good. Knowing when we need to turn off the EMS brain and focus on fishing or gardening together is key.

How did you get him to understand that ? Cause my dishes just stay there. LOL.

And I completely agree about "turning off" ems. He works for one of the busiest services in the country, and the last thing he wants to do is talk about ems when he comes home. We dont mention it in our house, unless something went wrong, and if he had a "bad" call, usually I can read it in his actions before he ever has to say anything. And we, like you guys, do not attend ems functions that are outside of work hours. Not only do we get enough of it at work, but theres not a whole lot of "free time" hours for us as it is. And then we even have to split those with the kiddos. lol.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
How did you get him to understand that ? Cause my dishes just stay there. LOL.

I can't take the credit for that. His mom instilled that in him.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm 28, I've been with my EMS service since May of last year as soon as I passed the BLS certification. I started my ALS classes the following summer, but held off until I got released as EMT-B and Driver before I went whole-hog. I'm volunteering my way up to medic, and they pay for my schooling, then they start actually paying for my services.

My wife is a Naval Officer. Ensign RN, specializing in pediatrics and pediatric intensive care. She SAYS she understands that when my shift ends at 1800, I still may not actually start on my way home until 2000. But sometimes, man, it sure as hell doesn't feel like it when she gives me that stink eye as we sit at the table and I eat my leftover dinner that went cold waiting for me. :p

She has no room to talk, though. Her 7pm (or am, depending on her rotation) quitting time sometimes doesn't happen until well after 9.

reaper

Working Bum
For me the journey began in 1989. It has been an up and down trip, but I still enjoy going to work every shift. I still enjoy dealing with the Pt's and still hold compassion for what everyone calls the BS Pt's. The day i stop doing that, is the day I retire!

My Ex was a CCRN. She just changed over the years and we grew apart. Nothing to do with the jobs. My current GF is a Medic and we have been together for 5 years. It works out good, better if we do not work the same service. Separate services keep your professional lives separate.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
For me the journey began in 1989. It has been an up and down trip, but I still enjoy going to work every shift. I still enjoy dealing with the Pt's and still hold compassion for what everyone calls the BS Pt's. The day i stop doing that, is the day I retire!

My Ex was a CCRN. She just changed over the years and we grew apart. Nothing to do with the jobs. My current GF is a Medic and we have been together for 5 years. It works out good, better if we do not work the same service. Separate services keep your professional lives separate.

HAHA, I did a few clinicals with my guy at his service, and it was miserable. We fought the whole time. I seriously got annoyed with him the entire shift. BLAH, I would never recommend working in the same service, but theres people that do it, and are good at it.