Glasses

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Okay, so I need glasses to read. I have gone through a dozen pair, as I always end up breaking them. I sit on em, lean on them, or crush them in one way or another. It is a pain because I only need glasses to read, but must carry with me at all times.

What I am looking for is crush proof diehard glasses. And before you pull the Let me Google that for you stuff, I am interested in anyone with field experience that wears glasses and can make first hand recommendations.

Thanks

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
This is definitely n=1 bit I have a pair of the flexible Nike glasses that I wear at work (I need them to drive) that I have sat on a couple times and got in a minor tussle where they ended up on the ground and they haven't broken. How do yours end up breaking? Perhaps what you need is a hardshell case for them. That may end up being a bit cheaper for you.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What I am looking for is crush proof diehard glasses.
To be totally honest, I have never heard of crush proof diehard glasses.

but this site would probably have something that will do what you are looking for: http://bit.ly/vAbvoz

mlouie90

Forum Probie
I don't wear reading glasses so I can't recommend any thing first hand, but I'm pretty sure you can never go wrong with Oakley. I own a few of their sunglasses and the quality seem unparalleled. I couldn't imagine any of their other products being less so.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a pair of Tag heuer titanium flexi frames.

Yes they cost me several hundred dollars but I have now had them 2 years. I have dropped, them sat on them, had them knocked off, I wear them in a place where I am constantly battling sand, wind and other extreme weather from heat to now cold.

They absolutely look like crap after 2 years but I love them. When I am stateside long enough I will replace them again.

You want resistance, you want durability, you have to pay a lot for that quality, but it is well worth it as I went thru glasses on a regular cycle prior to these.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a pair of Tag heuer titanium flexi frames.

Yes they cost me several hundred dollars but I have now had them 2 years. I have dropped, them sat on them, had them knocked off, I wear them in a place where I am constantly battling sand, wind and other extreme weather from heat to now cold.

They absolutely look like crap after 2 years but I love them. When I am stateside long enough I will replace them again.

You want resistance, you want durability, you have to pay a lot for that quality, but it is well worth it as I went thru glasses on a regular cycle prior to these.

This sounds like the ticket, I don't mind spending the extra money for some thing that will last... Thanks

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I've seen the titaniums and they seem very good.

But you need to cultivate care. Otherwise you will leave sharps lying in patients' living rooms, fail to get thorough histories, drive off without your partner, yededah yededah. Slow down, take five to stay alive, all that ;)
I had my first pair of bifocals, and I can tell you to within six inches where I last left them...in 1994, in a restaurant near Volk Field, MN.

Get the bulletproof glasses, get a hard case. THEN, since it is for reading, go find a nice pair of "cheaters" that work, then lower the power the better (so you don't have to hold stuff to your nose to read it), find your strength, then go buy about five of them, some preferably from $1 TREE. Put them in your glove compartments, coat pockets, CERT kit, private jump kit, bedside, wherever.

ANd nowe, for sunglasses. (crikey):ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
My fiance wears springy titanium ones cuz he's a mechanic and constantly breaking stuff. He went w the transition lenses and he LOVES them. I wear glasses too and am hoping I never drop or break them, same w my sunglasses. Im considering contacts again.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I switch between contacts and glasses. When I wear glasses I wear thick plastic frames ("nerdy chic") I have never had a problem with breaking them...

What do you do to your glasses that you go through so many pairs?

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
The problem is, since they are only reading glasses, I don't wear them all the time. It is inconvenient to always have to pack around glasses for those times I need to read. My solution was to buy folding glasses that I can put in a small case and wear on my belt. My last pair broke when I was unloading some heavy equipment from our rescue truck and the weight of the equipment pressed against my hips and smashed my glasses. I would put in front shirt pocket but we wear T-shirts so no pockets.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
I've worn glasses for a while, and have had good luck with flexible metal frames and polycarbonate lenses. I have Ray-Bans now that I've only had for a few months, but I love them.

You could also look into sunglasses with interchangeable lenses, and get a pair of clear Rx lenses made for them...they tend to be durable.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Do any of you have experience with those super cheap glasses you can order online? Google search turns up numerous sites that offer lens + frame for under $25. I know that they wont be top notch but I just need something to wear at work when my contacts get dried out.

How can these sites sell glasses for this cheap without them being made of old news papers?

mycrofft

Walmart has good deals as well, especial repairs.

As much as I hate Walmart, and I do use a local independent optometrist/opthalmologist, once you have been checked for glaucoma and prescription, it's all just industrial production, then charging you for the frame of your dreams.
The very best glasses I was ever given looked like this:
MCU2P.jpg

Eyeglass "inserts" for a gas mask. They were prone to scratching a little, but they did NOT fall off or shift no matter how one tossed one's head, they came with a built-in neckband, they never callused the top of your ears or the temples.
And in an emergency you could launch rocks at squirrels for sustenance.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Okay, so I need glasses to read. I have gone through a dozen pair, as I always end up breaking them. I sit on em, lean on them, or crush them in one way or another. It is a pain because I only need glasses to read, but must carry with me at all times.

What I am looking for is crush proof diehard glasses. And before you pull the Let me Google that for you stuff, I am interested in anyone with field experience that wears glasses and can make first hand recommendations.

Thanks

Speaking as someone who's had a double digit negative prescription since he was 2yo (yes, very myopic), I can only advise this. Treat your glasses as more important than your kit, stethoscope, or even smartphone. Because, if you need them only to read I'll remind that we're not getting any younger therefore making our vision only get worse.

My humble opinion.

Zipperelli

Forum Probie
This is definitely n=1 bit I have a pair of the flexible Nike glasses that I wear at work (I need them to drive) that I have sat on a couple times and got in a minor tussle where they ended up on the ground and they haven't broken.

Seconding this. Mine haven't broken ever and I abuse the hell out of them. Very flexible and the lenses I have are scratch proof, so these things are almost indestructible.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I wear glasses all the time. However I also have clip on (magnetic) sunglasses for them. These I keep in a bright colored hard case. I set them on the dash, radio, or cup holder of the truck all the time. This protects them when not being worn plus makes them easy to see when they fall on the black floor. You'll just have to get used to putting them in a case when not on your face.

Have you tried the dollar or drug store reading glasses? Here they are cheap at a buck or two a pair.

mycrofft

Simple cheater-readers? No big astigmatism?

Dollartree for backups