Getting CE Hours in Minnesota for NREMT Cert

cbeit

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I got my NREMT for Minnesota in June of 2017 and found out I was pregnant in May of 2017. I had hyperemesis gravidarum the entire pregnancy so I didn't do anything with my NREMT as I could barely function to make it to my appointments. Anyways, here I am with a now healthy baby girl that's a few months old and I don't know what to do. I want to go into the field, but then again my baby is still in the not sleeping stage and I may put off going into the field for another year.

In order to keep my NREMT active without having to take the entire course again, what do I need to do? Our instructor failed to even mention that we had to do continuing education hours, how many we need, or what else needs to be done to keep the certificate active. Is anyone in here from Minnesota that would be able to tell me how many hours we need? Can I keep it active without being employed with a service? Where do I go to get some CE hours?

Thanks in advance!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
CE hours can be obtained almost anywhere. Every fire department (that has EMTs or Paramedics), EMS agency and hospital offers CE opportunities.

The easiest and most cookie cutter options are ACLS and PALS. Each worth in the neighborhood of 16 CEUs. Many other classes are available, and even lectures and lunches with a speaker can qualify.

Optional, you could take an EMT Refresher course.

Minnesota follows the NCCP guide for NREMT, but also allows traditional recertification via CE and refresher course.

Keep in mind, Minnesota does not require you to keep your NREMT current to maintain state certification, however most people recommend keeping it currently anyway.

More information can be found at the NREMT website where you can learn more about the NCCP recertification model.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
You can recertify by simply re-taking the written exam, but if you aren't affiliated with an agency you will need to go to "inactive" status. To go from inactive to active as an EMT-B all you need is for a Training Officer to sign you off as competent with skills (paramedics need Medical Director signoff to return to active).

Note that even as an "inactive" EMT, you are still certified as an EMT. This is different than if you didn't recert by exam or by education, and your license lapsed.