Generational Gaps

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I feel like internet access and electronic gadgets should be age locked. Wouldn’t help 100% but at least reduce today’s horror show.
Our kids are not allowed to have a SM account until we cannot stop them, i.e., they’re 18 and are (legal) adults.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Our kids are not allowed to have a SM account until we cannot stop them, i.e., they’re 18 and are (legal) adults.

IMG_0455.jpg

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
One thing that I'm curious about is for those of you who have negative views of generations older or younger than yours, how isolated in your generation bubble are you? Sure you may work with people of different generations, but how often do you sit down and have coffee with people outside your age group?

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
One thing that I'm curious about is for those of you who have negative views of generations older or younger than yours, how isolated in your generation bubble are you? Sure you may work with people of different generations, but how often do you sit down and have coffee with people outside your age group?

Quite often, actually. Former coworkers I am still in touch with; it’s a small group of people but I’ve always been selective of who I interact with.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm an "old." I'm 70 (just started this line of retirement bizzy work at 65). I work with P's that are younger than my youngest kid. Have no problem communicating with them. I don't do facebook, etc., but I love the internet and can literally spend hours reading on it or going to a couple of forums. The age gap shows itself when it comes to politics, as in current events, usually.

The younger crew can't relate to what I did and saw in the Navy, the Border Patrol, or as a fed criminal investigator. Life will teach them. If they can adapt and reconcile things the lessons won't be too hard, but if not, I hope their safe room is padded.

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
I retired off the trucks 3 years ago, at 65. Not by choice, family move to floriduh. Started it all way back as a volunteer outside Philly, then the Philly fire dept. Joined the navy. Did 40 years in Virginia EMS. Mostly volunteer. That was while I finished a 20 year Navy career, then started a 23 year police career. Worked a few years post cops as a paid medic.

My biggest reward? Hearing younger cops say if they get in trouble they want Sarge coming to bail them out. Young medics saying if they are on a bad call, wanting Rube to come help them out.
I see the new Chief Petty Officers, new firefighters, new cops, new medics. You know what? I sleep really well knowing they are out there at night.
No regerts, I had a blast.