For those that have

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
"Youth Corp, Junior members, PIB(Pain In The Butts)"

I'm just wondering do you let them do alot of stuff assuming the pt is some what stable?

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
We don't have a cadet program, we do have red shirts, guys going through our academy that hang around and do ride alongs. If they are emt or medic certified we let them help out on scene with BLS skills, fire wise we will bring them inside for overhaul if the have passed the scba operations portion of the academy, or we will let them help out exterior with hoselines.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
"Youth Corp, Junior members, PIB(Pain In The Butts)"

I'm just wondering do you let them do alot of stuff assuming the pt is some what stable?

depends. If they are experienced at riding and feel comfortable, yes. If anything less, the answer is no. Some of the 17 year old youth corp members are trained at CFR. , Others 17 year olds are taking an EMT class. In both cases I let them do up to their level of training. I also spend time teaching.

I was allowed to do quite a bit as a youth corp member. I just didn't realize it at the time.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
You have to be 18 to do a ridealong with our comapny. Good in some ways as you don't have kids that may be shocked by what they might see. Bad in that we can't even take our kids on "take your kid to work day" to see what the old man does. We usually let those that come do what their level of training is. Usually a good experience for all.

Jolt

Forum Crew Member
My only major restriction is that I can't transport alone in the back of the ambulance.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Good in some ways as you don't have kids that may be shocked by what they might see.

Yeah you just have adults shocked by what they see. B)

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
My SAR team, which is youth-led, runs auto-aid with the local fire department for all structure fires and other major calls. We also share one of their stations, and they let us ride whenever we want. They do about 80% medical and 20% fire.

Like was said before, what you're allowed to do greatly depends on the rapport you build with the people you're riding with. If you can earn their trust, they'll usually be happy to let you play. Remember that your relationship with them starts at the station, not on the calls. Offer to help clean up around the station, pay for your dinner, bring some cookies over at the beginning of the shift, and just show them respect in general. Be enthusiastic too, and let them know what kind of skills you'd like to work on.

Advanced First Responders (90% equivalent to EMT-B ) from our team that build trust with the firefighters are usually allowed to do quite a lot. I have yet to ride, but friends of mine have run calls, done CPR, splinted, controlled bleeding... etc etc.

As far as fire scenes, we usually set up RIT, roll hose, change air tanks, keep bystanders out of the perimeter, manage evacuees, and do scene security (babysit it until the investigator comes out).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CFRBryan347768

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Hm...Thanks for all the input, the reason i ask is because i have to deliver a speech to a couple "Youth Corp" and I was just always right ontop of every one so i was always doing something, which led them to understand that i knew what i was doing, but sounds like the main points are confidence and understanding of whats wrong.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
A lot of it has to do with the interpersonal interactions between the junior and the crew... if I've got an under-18 "secondary EMT" on the crew... I've got no problem letting them act within their scope under my supervision... but they need to step up and do it... that may mean they have to ask the crew if they can "run" the call, or that they need to just step up and jump in... but they can't do that unless they are with someone who is willing to let them.

Jon

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Depends from person to person. We have doctors from abroad that do ride alongs with us, but they are not allowed to touch a patient due to their protocol and our terms and conditions.

We are very strict with ride alongs, but they make good drip stands... If you are qualified and you have a local registration with the council, you work as a normal qualified EMT. (provided you know whats going on and not completely clueless)

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
We are very selective jumps on board one of our vehicles, it involves a 4 page indenmity form, which already scares half the croud away. As for working on, or touching a patient, unless you are qualified or in the process there off, you can only look.