For the book gurus

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll start off by saying I did a search and didn't find a straight yes or no and why answer to my question. If it has been answered somewhere, my bad.

Is the Brady Prehospital Emergency Pharmacology (6th Edition) book a good one? I know many people like it, however, I've learned that just because someone likes something, doesn't make it good or useful. If it's not, can you recommend something similar that is a good book?

Thanks for the input!!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The value of a book depends on what you use it for.

Some books are concise, giving specific details for specific applications. Some books are easy to read, so you don't need to look up details in other books to understand it. Some are good for reference, I have no intention on reading Harrison's Internal Medicine cover to cover. Some will get you through a class, but not give you detailed understanding. Let's not forget, some books are for coloring too :)

What is the purpose you want out of your pharm book? A reference book? An easy flip chart for dosages? Basic information?

I don't use "prehospital" books. Goes against my idea that there is no difference in medicine in or out of the hospital. With a background in biochemistry, you may want to strike for something a little more technical, but again, depends on your use.

I get a lot of milage out of lippincot's illustrated review of pharm. But it may not be what you need. What is your purpose?

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Just a better understanding of class indications, mechanisims of action, contraindications, etc. but more focused on the drugs used in the prehospital setting, yet more broad than then what's used at the service where I worked at. Does that make sense? I'll throw out an example. In class we talked about Versed as a benzo, they mentioned others such as Valium but did not give information as to why one may be used over another. So I figure a good book that would cover commonly used benzo's, how they work, and why one over the other... etc.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Go with lippinicott illustrated review. I think it will serve you well. It's also not that expensive as far as medical books go.

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Danke ^_^

ten characters