Florida EMS

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
I am contemplating relocating to Florida. Possibly the Kissimmee/St. Cloud area. I know that Florida does not have reciprocity with any other state. But any information about EMS or EMS companies in that area would be of great help.

Thank You

Sasha

Forum Chief
I am contemplating relocating to Florida. Possibly the Kissimmee/St. Cloud area. I know that Florida does not have reciprocity with any other state. But any information about EMS or EMS companies in that area would be of great help.

Thank You

That area is all fd unless you want crappy ift or to drive out to polk or volusia.

OrlMedic3388

Forum Ride Along
There are a few places around the orlando area that will hire that do more than IFT and aren't fire departments. Orange County FD will hire you as a medic only to work on the rescue, but you are required to take fire standards within 3 years. There is Health Central Ambulance which runs mostly 911 with a few ift thrown in. Health Central operates mostly in the orlando area. There is Rural Metro that operates in the City of Orlando. They share 911 transports with the City FD. RM also does lots of IFT, but they have seperate trucks for that. RM is expanding a lot towards the end of the year, so they will be hiring. RM is taking over all the 911 transports in Sumter County, which is about 45 min north of Orlando. Then there is American Ambulance, which is also in orlando, they do strictly IFT. Also all the local hospitals will hire you to work in the ER. Ive been with Rural Metro for 3 years now, lots of pros and cons about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
kissimmee/st cloud?

why those particular areas? They are pretty rural and boring. (i lived in FL till i was 23) and honestly those 2 cities are AWFUL. If you are planning on moving to FL I would say try bigger cities - Orlando, tampa, miami, ect. But I would advise against moving to those small towns for work unless you had a real sweet job already lined up otherwise you might find yourself having trouble getting a job. just my .02

OP
OP
djmedic913

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
There are a few places around the orlando area that will hire that do more than IFT and aren't fire departments. Orange County FD will hire you as a medic only to work on the rescue, but you are required to take fire standards within 3 years. There is Health Central Ambulance which runs mostly 911 with a few ift thrown in. Health Central operates mostly in the orlando area. There is Rural Metro that operates in the City of Orlando. They share 911 transports with the City FD. RM also does lots of IFT, but they have seperate trucks for that. RM is expanding a lot towards the end of the year, so they will be hiring. RM is taking over all the 911 transports in Sumter County, which is about 45 min north of Orlando. Then there is American Ambulance, which is also in orlando, they do strictly IFT. Also all the local hospitals will hire you to work in the ER. Ive been with Rural Metro for 3 years now, lots of pros and cons about it.

I used to work for metro about 5 years ago up in Buffalo, NY. So I know how they work and operate.

Sasha

Forum Chief
kissimmee is by no means a small town...

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
populations...

st cloud - 24,000
kissimmee - 64,000

whereas

orlando - 2,089,000+
tampa - 335,700+
miami - 2,500,000+

So I would say in comparison to say orlando, tampa and miami st cloud/kissimmee are small.

not trying to be a smart mouth just sayin.

the numbers were taken off the wiki's with refs to the census bureau sites.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Have you actually been to Kissimmee? Yeah it's small by population but it's a huge tourist area. Hello, Disney!

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
oh yah!

yah i lived in orlando till i was 23. When you are a kid growing up in FL you basically go to disney at least 2 times a year with school almost till graduation i know the mouse very well!

Sasha

Forum Chief
yah i lived in orlando till i was 23. When you are a kid growing up in FL you basically go to disney at least 2 times a year with school almost till graduation i know the mouse very well!

Hated Disney. Been a total of three times. Sea world and busch gardens.. another story. Went at least once a year!

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
see

im more of a universal guy islands of adventure is AWESOME. and i favor the waterparks over all - blizzard beach, typhoon lagoon, wet n wild. I know blizzard beach and typhoon are disney but they are pretty awesome water parks.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Wet'n'Wild's awesome and pretty dang cheap. I miss water mania though...

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
watermania

kinda left a bad taste in my mouth lol it always smelled like cocoa butter and seemed like the knock off of wet n wild. BUT! it is the first place I helped save a life lol. I was a wee young kid like 12 or so and was peeing in the urinal and i hear a thump this guy slipped in the shower and hit his head an started having a seizure ill never forget it i freaked out and ran out of the bathroom screaming for help! i got 3 free passes to come back to the park that summer. since i was the only one in the bathroom they said he might have died if i hadnt alerted anyone. i also got all the icecream i wanted for the day lol.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I like the smell of cocoa butter, it reminds me of the beach. Oh the beach <3