Flexible Ambulance company Eastern MA

Kevinm12

Forum Ride Along
Hi. Semi-new to the forums. I was wondering if any of my fellow MA EMTs can recommend a good ambulance company in Eastern/Northeastern MA with actual flexible scheduling? I really want to get in the field but I need to start out as part time due to making considerably more money at my current job so full time is out due to bills and a mortgage to be paid.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
where exactly are you looking for, like we talking Northshore? Or like Ipswich? Are you near metro-boston? What experience do you have?

OP
OP
K

Kevinm12

Forum Ride Along
I would prefer the nortshore but I'm willing to commute up to an hour. I pretty much have zero experience.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'd start looking at volunteering friend.

Zero experience, EMT B and PRN hours is going to be pretty tough to find.

Reason I say that is there's hundreds if not thousands of people out there that would take the job offered to you without having scheduling requirements.

As an employer, everything else considered equal, I'm going to hire the person with a wide open schedule, who's willing to pick up shifts when needed over someone who wants into the field but not as a primary job.

OP
OP
K

Kevinm12

Forum Ride Along
I'd start looking at volunteering friend.

Zero experience, EMT B and PRN hours is going to be pretty tough to find.

Reason I say that is there's hundreds if not thousands of people out there that would take the job offered to you without having scheduling requirements.

As an employer, everything else considered equal, I'm going to hire the person with a wide open schedule, who's willing to pick up shifts when needed over someone who wants into the field but not as a primary job.

That's what I was thinking might be the best route. I knew going into it how hard it was going to be new and looking for part time. I actually got a job offer but had to turn it down due to them initially offering to work with me scheduling wise then basically offering me shifts where I'm required to be at my primary job. Appreciate the input.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
You don't need experience for most IFT companies. I found my first job less than a week after getting my ticket. Look at Brewster Ambulance if you don't mind going into Boston. Their Boston contract is IFT, but will back up Boston EMS if need be. Although Brewster will run emergency calls for the nursing homes they have contracts with, its usually nothing serious, or if it is serious they have a DNR so it doesn't matter anyways haha. They have town 911 contracts but those are on the South Shore. Overall I liked working at Brewster. They got a bunch of new rigs and equipment, so made everything a little easier.

Cataldo is more North Shore with more 911 contracts, so look at them as well.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Something else I'll add is sometimes agencies won't let you go PRN without working FT for a while, sometimes it's the opposite, others it doesn't matter.

Agency dependent.

I'm not saying it's totally impossible to find a paid gig with the stipulations you need but it does make it more difficult.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You don't need experience for most IFT companies. I found my first job less than a week after getting my ticket. Look at Brewster Ambulance if you don't mind going into Boston. Their Boston contract is IFT, but will back up Boston EMS if need be. Although Brewster will run emergency calls for the nursing homes they have contracts with, its usually nothing serious, or if it is serious they have a DNR so it doesn't matter anyways haha. They have town 911 contracts but those are on the South Shore. Overall I liked working at Brewster. They got a bunch of new rigs and equipment, so made everything a little easier.

Cataldo is more North Shore with more 911 contracts, so look at them as well.

Good luck.

I also got my start at Brewster. I worked PRN during college vacations and they were happy to have me since I could fill gaps on the schedule with no notice. You'll need two weeks to get orientation and third rides done but it's no big deal.

OP
OP
K

Kevinm12

Forum Ride Along
I will definitely look into the companies mentioned and keep looking in general. Definitely appreciate all the input and advice from you guys. This is definitely something I want to do but I didn't realize just how lousy starting money was as a Basic. It would have made things very difficult for me and my fiancé financially if I went full-time right away.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah the money is pretty bad if you have to support others. That's why OT is a big thing in this field. Also getting your paramedic obviously opens doors to better paying gigs like getting onto a fire department if that is something that interests you.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yeah the money is pretty bad if you have to support others. That's why OT is a big thing in this field. Also getting your paramedic obviously opens doors to better paying gigs like getting onto a fire department if that is something that interests you.

When I was at Brewster starting pay was 12.50 an hour, did it get any better?