FL EMT-Basic seeking job training in other states

BOSlife

Forum Crew Member
Hello!

I was recently certified as an NREMT-Basic and also obtained FL state licensure. I am actively seeking employment and finding it very difficult in Florida to get on as an EMT on a private ambulance company and both Florida Hospital and Orlando Health systems seem to be uninterested in EMTs without at LEAST 1 year ED experience or related patient care. I'm really at a crossroads in both my academic and professional career and am open to some advice!!

My options as I see it:

1) Get accepted into Paramedic program here in FL. (in progress, but not sure I will be accepted with no experience and unsure if its a good idea to get EMT-P with 0 years experience as an EMT-B)

2) Continue search for an EMT-Basic job and gain experience. (Pay back some loans and save $$ :)

3) Take classes towards a Bachelors degree, but risk passing up employment in EMS due to a full time class schedule. (..and spend more $$ for perhaps a B.S degree I will not use, no pun intended)

4) Move to another state, get NREMT reciprocity (looking at the Northwest, Washington state) work as an EMT, later apply to a Paramedic program

5) Firefighter standards; I am like many in the EMS community, and would be willing and able to work in emergency response on a Fire-Rescue service. Since I am considering relocating, from my research it is better to wait and get employed by an Fire service agency and go through their designated Fire standards training or at least obtain Fire standards through that state. (Washington state is where I would like to go)

I have done extensive research about my future goals but am asking for suggestions/anecdotes from veterans and newbies alike about how they started their career in EMS/Fire service.

Cheers!