first "trauma" call

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
Well dont feel sorry for me, feel sorry for the residents who have put up with this stuff day in and day out, makes me wonder why some residents dont like for you to walk into their room, they fear being beaten or their plea for attention go ignored. For most of these people just sitting down and talking to them for 15-20 of your shift will make their whole entire day. I did this with a majority of my residents, and honestly I met some really interesting people. They already feel abandoned by their families as it is, and they just need to know that someone still cares for them. Sometimes I wish it were madatory that NHs made the aides and nurses set aside time each day to sit and talk with a resident, I think after a while the CNA/resident relationship would change for the better.

Cap'nPanic

The one the only the loony one :blink:

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
Cap: Know what you mean, had I continued on with Med school I wouldve gone into Geriatrics, they are the bomb...!

Quick story: I hate NHs so much for one specific reason. My poor little grandfather, who had suffered like 4 major CVAs and a couple MIs was in a NH in Raleigh when I was like 8 or 9. We made a trip up from Atlanta one weekend and found a huge gash on the TOP of his head. They told us he fell out of bed. How does one fall out of bed and get a 4 inch lac on the top of his head you ask? Well, we couldnt figure it out either and Pop had a lot of suspicious bruises so that NH got sued by my folks for beating my Grandfather senseless. There were many other instances, but that is the only one I remember clearly.

I just saw a pt who left her rehab NH because the staff had stolen her checkbook and written checks totalling $9,000 from her personal bank account. Needless to say this had nothing to do with Hoyer lifts and sheets, but more like the latest P.Diddy CD.

I am disgusted with the entire industry...