First Steps to becoming an EMT? Where do I start?

BDiego

Forum Ride Along
I want to become an EMT to start off and become a Paramedic but I need to know what's the best route to becoming an EMT. Thank you in advance!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Find a local EMT training program. Often a semester long course at your local community college, a few 4-6 week "Accelerated Academies" exist, google EMT training and your location.

Pick a school, apply, spend the money, go to class.

May need a CPR card before hand, may not. Check the specific EMT program requirements you're applying too.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you have any opportunities to volunteer locally? If so, you can probably take the EMT course for free in return for a time commitment.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
^ and ^^

If you are cash strapped, you can get your EMT for free. If you want to speed things up, it’s easily done - you can get your EMT in a matter of months (or even as little as a month, full time).

Also, make sure you understand what you’re getting into from a career perspective: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/mobile/emts-and-paramedics.htm
Despite a lot of growth in the number of roles, compensation isn’t where it ought to be.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Lots of agencies are now doing “earn while you learn” recruit academy style training. That’ll get you trained I get, you’ll get paid while you’re in class and you’ll have a job when you’re done.

the big question is, where are you located? That’ll help us point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
B

BDiego

Forum Ride Along
Lots of agencies are now doing “earn while you learn” recruit academy style training. That’ll get you trained I get, you’ll get paid while you’re in class and you’ll have a job when you’re done.

the big question is, where are you located? That’ll help us point you in the right direction.
I am located in Indianapolis, Indiana but I will be going to Savannah, Georgia soon

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I am located in Indianapolis, Indiana but I will be going to Savannah, Georgia soon
Savannah Tech and Rescue Training both offer EMT programs. I think Chatham EMS has a recruit academy, where they pay you to become an EMT.

CerealKing

Forum Ride Along
If you are in Indianapolis you may want to check out Pelham Training in Bloomfield Indiana. Did my EMT there 2 years ago. Really liked the program and instructors. It is only 17 days but is a bit pricey.