First Ride Alongs.

Silverado94

Forum Probie
Hello, I am new here but i have been reading it for some time now so i thought i would share my stories. Also i am just starting my ride alongs only to be a driver until i get through the first responder course.
I am 17 and i am volunteering with a small town Ambulance crew we have to cover a rural area of about 1500 people average time from dispatch to arrival at hospital is about an hour as the nearest one is about 45 miles away. So here are my stories up to now.
My first ride along was uneventful it was a house fire and we automatically get dispatched along with the fire department and the the house owner only got minor burns so then we give them some water called their son and he came and took care of them and let them stay at his place and we called red cross for them then we headed back.
A week later we get dispatched to a retirement home pt is unresponsive and we only have 7 members including myself we were short staffed and i had to ride in back and assist the EMT-B in her evaluation half way to the hospital pt woke up only to freak out because the last thing she remembers is going to church and now she is in a Ambulance. We got her calmed down continued our evaluation and it turns out she had a low blood suger and fainted. Exciting to say the least because i wasn't prepared to ride and the back and it turns out it wasn't that bad.
Third call was later that night same day as the Retirement home call a 1 y/o bumped his head hard and we took him to the hospital just to make sure nothing happend because the parents said he wasn't acting like himself at all. But all was good belive it or not i learned more in those 3 ride alongs than i could have ever imagined. Thank you for reading this.

RebelRescue

Forum Probie
Silverado94 said:
half way to the hospital pt woke up only to freak out because the last thing she remembers is going to church and now she is in a Ambulance.

I really hate when that happens............scares the S**T outta me!I had one came to all wide-eyed and scared screaming "OMG am I dead?"That one was good for a few laughs.

Sounds like your getting broke in good,keep at it and good luck!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Welcome to the forum. A couple of things. wow 17 y.o. and training to be a driver ?.. wow we require at least 23 y.o. for insurance purposes. Trying to fihure out, were there 7 members responded to the fire or 7 members responded to the patient ?.. 7 people on one medical call.. wow !

R/R 911

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I've seen seven people on one medical call...in my own house. Called 911 for my wife with respiratory distress and chest pain. An engine showed up with the ambulance. So, there were two people from the ambulance assessing my wife, and five people from the engine standing around watching.

(There was no serious problem with my wife, by the way.)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We had 20 in my house when my dad went in for his heart... he was a fireman, so the whole department came. It seemed like there were planes, trains, and automobiles pulling up and dropping off people. ;)

But hey, they moved all of the furniture out of the way and then back again, and they even drove my car to the hospital for me. :)

OP
OP
S

Silverado94

Forum Probie
Hello, Sorry for the confusion on this but what i meant to say is that Our ambulance service only has 7 members all to together and we are supposed to have 3 on every call one driver two emt's or first responder's but one had a class and couldn't respond so only a driver and a emt-b and me showed up for the call. As for our county you have to be 18 to drive the ambulance for emergency calls but being seventeen i am allowed to do my required ride alongs and drive back after a call. I hopeing to be a little more help than being a driver when i get through First Responder class's. Thanks for the replies.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
RebelRescue said:
"OMG am I dead?"!

Yeah.. Sorry. Stop talking now.

Wouldn't that be funny? Pretend you couldn't hear them, or see them, talk like they are dead... Make them think they are. If they touch you, ask someone to turn off the AC.

:p

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
TTLWHKR said:

Wouldn't that be funny? Pretend you couldn't hear them, or see them, talk like they are dead... Make them think they are. If they touch you, ask someone to turn off the AC.

OMG! Yes. Think I'll try it. In my evals I have been told I need to "be more social and talk to the patients more."

I was like...Do you mean ask more questions to find out more about whats wrong with them or tell them what I am doing?

She said, No...Just make conversation.

Oh.

So, there were two people from the ambulance assessing my wife, and five people from the engine standing around watching.

Totally unacceptable. Somebody really should rethink that one. Patients are already freaked out and vulnerable enough without having the world standing there looking at them, if it can be helped.

With the FD I was with, if every person on the crew showed up for a Medical, 3 would go. The others would standby at the station for additional calls (of course we have the call volume that it would be highly likely additional calls would come in.) Even then, only 2 would go inside. If the third (the driver/engineer) was needed, they could call them on the radio.

If for some reason there was a 4th, 5th, or 6th person on the truck then still only 2 would go in. A cardiac arrest would get 3 people inside if EMS wasn't already there.

Its nonsense to let everyone just stand there and stare.

RebelRescue

Forum Probie
TTLWHKR said:

Cold,very cold.........but VERY funny.