First Ride-along

MikeScholes

Forum Ride Along
My first ride-along is tomorrow with a private ambulance company.

What should I expect? I heard many private companies have lots of downtime.

EMTrigger

Forum Probie
I think it depends on where you are from. I live in a suburban area and my first ride along was REALLY boring the first time. Got to go to an old folks home and keep a lonely woman company. I'd say you should smile, ask questions whenever you get a chance, look presentable and be respectful of course. Did the company tell you what you should be wearing?

pumper12fireman

Forum Crew Member
That's odd you've heard that, most private EMS around here is busier than hell. Anyways, it doesn't really matter private or public. We run "5" a day average, but we never run 5, it's either 0 or 1, or 9 or 10...

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Expect it to be either really boring or more exciting than you anticipated. Expect those you ride with to be annoyed and extremely put out at having to babysit you or very supportive and helpful. Expect to learn a lot, and expect to be disappointed by how little you learned.

There is no way of telling what your experience will be. You have to be open and flexible to whatever happens. Just bear in mind, whatever it turns out to be, next time will probably be different.

ηәo яeтяo

Forum Ride Along
I'm 4 hours away from my first ride-along. Good luck on yours. I should be asleep right now, but I always find it hard to sleep the night before an event -- too many lists and things going through my head.