First Job?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello,

I'm a newbie around here so I first want to apologize if I'mk posting in the wrong section but I couldn't find a better suited one.

Here is my situation. I am a freshman Biomedical Engineering Major at Washington University in St. Louis who is looking to become a licensed EMT. I have registered with the Ohio Fire Academy to take classes over my summer vacation from WashU to become licensed in Ohio as an EMT-B (which includes the additional Ohio Requirements such as Advanced Airway intubation etc...) I am also hoping to then be licensed as an EMT-B (without intubation licensure) in Missouri where I attend school when I return in the fall.

I have a well paying job back on campus and I am not really looking to make money off of this but to gain experience so pay is not an issue for me. I just don't know what is the best way to gain experience. I live in Columbus, OH where the local fire departments only take EMTs who are also firefighters.

With that background, I have a few questions:

1.) I finish my training on the 27th of June. By when can I resonably expect to be licensed in the State of Ohio (NREMT test results)?

2.) If i have to return to school mid August (Let's say the 15th for ease of disscussion) would it be worth it to try and be hired by one of the private ambulance companies? Would anyone take me for that short of a period of time? (To my knowledge, and I have done a bit of research, there are no companies that service both the central Ohio metro area and the St. Louis Metro Area)

3.) Once I return to St. Louis, I know that I can be licensed resonably quickly in Missouri. Where should I start looking for work? With a private company, volunteer EMS squad? What would give me the most experience? One of the physicians in the ER at WUSM (WashU's School of Medicine) reccommended that I try Abbott EMS, but is it true that private EMS companies just transport elderly around and that you never really get to use the skills you learn in EMT school?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I know this was a long first post!

-Ambrose

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone?

(bump and needed to lengthen message)

piranah

Forum Captain
i would go private...there are a couple companies that are nationwide like.AMR they are from california to Rhode Island...

Firesurfer75

Forum Probie
Patience is a virtue in this line of work, so by the time you get your NR cert you probably will have a month before you return to school, so with that said maybe talk to a private company now and see what they have to say. They may hire you, what's the worst thing that could happen right?? When you return to school try to utilize all your resources.. check with the school and see if they have a need for an EMT, or maybe hire onto a private transport. For utilization of your skills you'll need to affiliate with an emergency service. If you aren't in it for the money, then definately find a vol squad. Private transport will give you pt contact but not much more than obtaining baseline vitals and becoming a pro at paperwork. You will run into a few circumstances with private that you will use your skills, but they can be few and far between. You have to start somewhere, then from there you will make the necessary contacts as time goes by. I will tell you up front that this is an extemely serious profession that many of us make big sacrifices in our lives to do what we do, so honestly don't expect it to be a simple task to get hired on quickly after school. Most services, especially EMS providers look for candidates that will be an asset not just a body filling a space on a truck. Good luck and I hope you find a good fit for what you are looking for.

emtbhardy

Forum Probie
Hello,

I'm a newbie around here so I first want to apologize if I'mk posting in the wrong section but I couldn't find a better suited one.

Here is my situation. I am a freshman Biomedical Engineering Major at Washington University in St. Louis who is looking to become a licensed EMT. I have registered with the Ohio Fire Academy to take classes over my summer vacation from WashU to become licensed in Ohio as an EMT-B (which includes the additional Ohio Requirements such as Advanced Airway intubation etc...) I am also hoping to then be licensed as an EMT-B (without intubation licensure) in Missouri where I attend school when I return in the fall.

I have a well paying job back on campus and I am not really looking to make money off of this but to gain experience so pay is not an issue for me. I just don't know what is the best way to gain experience. I live in Columbus, OH where the local fire departments only take EMTs who are also firefighters.

With that background, I have a few questions:

1.) I finish my training on the 27th of June. By when can I resonably expect to be licensed in the State of Ohio (NREMT test results)?

2.) If i have to return to school mid August (Let's say the 15th for ease of disscussion) would it be worth it to try and be hired by one of the private ambulance companies? Would anyone take me for that short of a period of time? (To my knowledge, and I have done a bit of research, there are no companies that service both the central Ohio metro area and the St. Louis Metro Area)

3.) Once I return to St. Louis, I know that I can be licensed resonably quickly in Missouri. Where should I start looking for work? With a private company, volunteer EMS squad? What would give me the most experience? One of the physicians in the ER at WUSM (WashU's School of Medicine) reccommended that I try Abbott EMS, but is it true that private EMS companies just transport elderly around and that you never really get to use the skills you learn in EMT school?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I know this was a long first post!

-Ambrose

One thing that u might want to check out. Is call around to the different services and see if they hire emt students as "drivers". But just let me say this.. You will have a better chance of getting on as a "driver" at a "private service" than you would at "9-1-1 service".