First hand account of Ft. Hood shootings

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I received this from a member of my husband's platoon in Vietnam. He is an extremely reliable source.

Good afternoon all

I was at Fort Hood yesterday afternoon and got caught up in the events surrounding the shooting. I was in the Howze Theater to play my bagpipes as a processional to bring in the soldiers who were receiving their college diplomas from area colleges and universities. They have one big ceremony each November for all the soldiers who have completed their degree requirements. I play for them every year.

At about 1:30, I was sitting on the front row of the theater on the far left side.. A side entrance to the theater was located directly to my left about three feet away. I heard three or four muffled pops and thought it sounded a little odd. Suddenly, the door near me flew open and a man fell into the theater with a gunshot wound in his back. I started for the man to see what was wrong but two NCO jumped up and grabbed the man and laid him on the edge of the stage. One of them shouted Are there any medical personnel in the building? Two of the graduates ran to the stage, threw off their caps and gowns and began treating the man as best they could. The announced that his wound was not life threatening. As the man was being loaded onto a stretcher, five or six heavily armed civilian security personnel entered the back of the auditorium with their rifles and pistols pointing upwards. One of them shouted that everyone should take a seat immediately, and believe me, that happened very quickly.

They asked that all senior NCOs in the building proceed to one of the eight entry doors in the building, and again, that was done immediately. One the security guys ascertained that the wounded man being removed from the stage would survive, they walked across the front of the stage and slowly opened a door on the opposite side of the auditorium”one which opened out onto a parking lot that separated the Howze Theater from the Soldiers Dome where the rest of the shooting occurred. We could hear rapid gunfire coming across the parking lot. One of the security guys again shouted a request for any doctors and nurses in attendance, and about 15 people immediately moved to the door where the security guys were standing. I heard one of the security folks tell the assembled medical personnel that there were many wounded people in the adjacent building, and that they were needed to help out. The medical people were told to follow the security guys, keep low, and move quickly without stopping. There was no hesitation on their part, they just moved out to do their jobs.

There were three officers in the building, and to their credit they just got out of the way and let the NCOs handle the situation. I was extremely proud of the professionalism that everyone displayed. The only people complaining were the civilians who were there for the graduation ceremony, and soldiers continually moved among them to calm them down.

One interesting thing about all thisabout an hour after the shooting died down, the loud speakers all over the base started playing the old Cavalry bugle call called Recall. I have never heard that on an active duty base before, but apparently the soldiers knew what it meant, that they were to drop what they were doing and return to their units.

At about 7 p.m. they brought several cases of MREs (combat meals) and starting handing them out. I figured we would be there all night when that happened. However, about 30 minutes later, we were allowed to depart in small numbers. I had to pass through four check points before I reached FM116, and even after driving off the post, I had to negotiate two Texas DPS road blocks before being allowed to drive at highway speed to return home.

I hope you will all keep the families of the slain soldiers in your prayers. I know that the Good Lord was looking after methat shooter could just as easily have followed the wounded man into the theater, where he would have injured many more victims. Anyway, that is a brief eyewitness report of what happened at Fort Hood yesterday afternoon.

Bill Herridge, agent

Gatesville, Texas

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Thanks for that Kaisu. My love to all caught up in the tragedy. I was happy to hear of the well-managed emergency response amidst the chaos.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I am again heart warmed to see that everyone came together as a cohesive team.