First Day in Newark, NJ

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Always consider time to an appropriate hospital vs time for calling for Intensive Care/ALS.

Oh and don't feel bad the guys on the garbage truck are making more than you and picking up less garbage :)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
:unsure: ???

At the bare minimum, a quick set of vitals (this may have already been done before calling for ALS), package on the stair chair or Reeves, and be at least downstairs, if not already in your unit. When I did NYC EMS, we would grab our bags and monitor and jump in the BLS bus and txp. Here in VA, they make you x-fer the pt from the BLS cot to yours if you make it onscene before they leave.

Nothing disappoints (if not angers) the medics more than calling for ALS after a quick pt eval, and then sitting there in the house, not really saying much or doing anything meaningful until the medics show up.

In NY, when a BLS would call for medics, it's standard for the medics to radio for a quick report on the pt, which should have already been done since the BLS decided that ALS was warranted. The medics will usually advise over the air to package, and also give their ETA. It's good form for the BLS to advise that they're packaged and are going downstairs. That way, the medics can set up in the back of the bus rather than pull bags and go upstairs for no reason. Even if you don't want to go outside in the elements, at least you're packaged and in the hallway or vestibule.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Good advice for a new provider starting out, any more pearls of wisdom you'd care to share? :wacko:

ive got plenty, but that was what my FTO told me my first day in a large New Jersey urban system that was close to NYC. Not newark, but a very close city.

He was half joking, half serious

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
At the bare minimum, a quick set of vitals (this may have already been done before calling for ALS), package on the stair chair or Reeves, and be at least downstairs, if not already in your unit. When I did NYC EMS, we would grab our bags and monitor and jump in the BLS bus and txp.
Sorry, I neglected to mention this. back to the campfire syndrome, some will stay on scene with a sick patient. do your initial interventions, quick assessment, package them, and be in the truck ready to go.

campfire syndrome is something that is extremely frowned upon in busy urban systems.

remember, in MICU, the M stands for MOBILE!!!