First 3rd ride tomorrow

PhilipM3

Forum Crew Member
I have my first 3rd ride in a few hours with Douglas County FD. I'm nervous, but very excited.

Any advice on how not to make a fool of myself?

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
How did it go? I've got my first ride along next month. :D

feldy

Forum Captain
let us know how it went...as for xgpt, depending on what they allow you to do, tell them what you are comfortable in doing and what you feel you need to work on. Not sure how far in or out of your training you are but you will most likely be expected to lift and move pts. take vitals, set up/prepare equipment etc. Ask questions and engage on pt care, dont stand back and watch unless you are told to step back, ask if they need a hand with anything...stuff like that. remember everyone has been there so dont worry if you r not comfortable even with the most basic of things. It just means you need more practice.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
let us know how it went...as for xgpt, depending on what they allow you to do, tell them what you are comfortable in doing and what you feel you need to work on. Not sure how far in or out of your training you are but you will most likely be expected to lift and move pts. take vitals, set up/prepare equipment etc. Ask questions and engage on pt care, dont stand back and watch unless you are told to step back, ask if they need a hand with anything...stuff like that. remember everyone has been there so dont worry if you r not comfortable even with the most basic of things. It just means you need more practice.

exactly what he said. When I went through my clinical time and we went out on a call the medics would tell me what to expect and what they would expect of me on every call. If something came up that they thought I couldn't handle they would have me just observe and not participate. As long as you get with some good medics that enjoy their job and want to help new emt's then you should have a fun time.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member

I was once told not to do anything I'm not comfortable with and to let those who know what they're doing, do what they're doing.

I was told that I'd be doing a lot of carrying...and that I might be a designated "stretcher fetcher". I'm expecting a lot of grunt work until I'm certified in June. I just took my second class and all...I don't really know anything about...anything

feldy

Forum Captain
thats okay, my first ride along was pretty much consisted of my carrying stuff and the "stretcher fetcher". But beforehand, if you can get a hold of a bp cuff and a stethescope, practice on friends and family obtaining vitals...thats one thing that i had not done a whole lot of in basic due to time constraints but the two emts that i rode with while were were waiting for a call let me practice on them. Also another thing, make sure before you start the shift have them show you where EVERYTHING is on the truck so you wont be wasting valuable time looking for something. thats what they had me do before i started my shift, they told me go to the truck and look where everything is, if you dont know how to use something...ask.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
Will do! thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread PhilipM3

feldy

Forum Captain
no problem...im fairly new to this also and that was the advice i was given. I was asked to head up a first aid station during a huge parade in new orleans next weekend, and im taking that advice i gave you and put it into play for myself too. Good luck.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
why is a first "third ride"? What happaned on your first "first run?