Fire Science

KirkAndrzejewski

Forum Probie
Quick Question, my local Community College offers a Fire Science degree with an EMS concentration, but it appears that all the EMS concentration is, is a EMT basic class. I already have my basic. Would it be beneficial to take a fire science course if I don't plan on working as a fire fighter? I plan on taking my Paramedic Cert. Course too.

EMS Concentraton - http://www.delta.edu/tech/fire20science20technology/emt.aspx

Fire Science -
https://public.delta.edu/catalog/Pages/ProgramDetail.aspx?ProgramID=2823

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If paramedicine is what you want to do get a basic as degree. And for electives and sciences take anatomy and physiology. Micro biology. Basic organic chem. Nutrition and what not. Then when you have your aa or as degree and paramedic you can apply to central Washington university to get you bachelors degree in paramedicine which at that point can be done all online.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There are AS and AAS paramedicine degrees out there. Not sure if there are any in your area though. I know people that did their paramedic cert then did a basic AS/AA/AAS taking the courses listed above.

OP
OP
KirkAndrzejewski

KirkAndrzejewski

Forum Probie
I really wouldn't want to leave my area at this moment. I was just curious if fire science would be beneficial to my EMT/Paramedic career, and if it would be in my best interest to take it while I take my Paramedic class.

Thoughts?

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
I don't really see a point in taking a fire science class if you're strictly going into EMS. Basic fire knowledge is great for anyone to have however.

Another point to consider would be would you ever one day want to go fire and EMS? If you obtained your firefighter I, so many more doors would open for you because you could also work in a fire department as a paramedic.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you had a fire science degree, you wouldn't be limited to strictly ambulance companies.

Hope it works out for you man.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
A degree in emergency management would be better I guess. To answer your question... If you don't plan on doing any firefighting ever then a Fire Science degree is about as useful as scrap paper and not worth the money.

If being a paramedic is what you want to do than do what Tim said. Get your AS AA or AAS degree in Paramedicine (if you can). That way you get your medic and your AA degree. Try to get your Bachelors in Paramedicine. That will make you a better candidate for moving up in the world of EMS. Or at least it will be a whole lot better than a fire science degree.

I know once I finish medic school I plan on applying to CWU to get my Bachelors in Paramedicine. Nice thing is that it is online at that point. All they require is an Associates degree and your paramedic certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I guess it all depends on whether you want to work for a Fire Department, and the area you are going to work in. In some areas its Fire that largely handles 911 and other areas its not.

From what I've seen though the largest barrier to getting a Fire job is getting your Paramedic. Once you have that the Fire training should be pretty much just a formality. Paramedic is considered by far the hardest and most time consuming part of the training. A lot of people who get their Fire 1 and 2 or graduate from an academy cant even pass EMT Basic school, nevermind Paramedic. So I would focus on Paramedic first and the Fire stuff later if being a Firefighter isn't your main focus.