Fire ambulance requirements

band aid man

Forum Crew Member
So I heard a fire station near me in tulare county is hiring for their ambulances but I only have my emt-b. I'm not sure if I need some kind of fire training or what for a fire ambo. Might be a stupid question but I haven't heard the requirements for that job. Any help is appreciated.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Why don't you call them up and ask? You may be required to take ff1, which is usually taken care of/ paid for by the dept.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The job posting on their website should include all the details. Is it a Fire/Medic position? Then they'll almost certainly require/strongly prefer at least a private academy and medic license.....however if it's single role and either a BLS or split (1 medic, 1 basic) then it's entirely possible you can get hired with only your EMT cert.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
If this is the Tulare County in CA, then they do not do EMS. There are a small handful of smaller private ambulance companies that provide a mix of 911 and Transfer services to the county.

Most if not all of the services operate on an EMT/Medic system for ALS units. I imagine standard EMT minimum requirements will apply.

If the position is with Tulare County Fire, well, don't quit your day job. Entry level positions with TCFD is all Extra-Help meaning you are limited to the number of hours you can work. Additionally, their firefighters are on-call PCFs who make $9/hr while responding to or assigned to a call; and you will generally respond from him with gear in your personal vehicle. The stations are staffed with one engineer or captain at a time, who will handle medical aids. Extra-Help Firefighters are encouraged to have First Aid and CPR training. EMT is a plus. No academy required, they will train you...eventually.

Generic

Forum Crew Member
If this is the Tulare County in CA, then they do not do EMS. There are a small handful of smaller private ambulance companies that provide a mix of 911 and Transfer services to the county.

Dinuba Fire has ambulance transport for the area. I suspect the OP is referring to them.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Dinuba Fire has ambulance transport for the area. I suspect the OP is referring to them.
Wow look at they. Dinuba coming up in the world. My dad worked there when it was CDF/CalFire. Since then Tulare County took over and didn't realize individual depts popped up.

Still though, he said Tulare County