Finding emplyment in Alberta and British Columbia?

EMRNewbieKat

Forum Ride Along
Just wondering if anyone could help me out in the location of contract jobs within BC and Alberta? I'm having the hardest time finding them, and i'm new to this site and havent quite figured it all out yet. Most of the jobs im finding are perm, but I would like to work on the oil sands as an EMR. I will be getting my PII, PST, and H2S Certifications as well. Also does anyone know if they take freh meat like moi straight out of school? Please help, thank you for your helpful comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

BadKarma

Forum Ride Along
One of the best places to start is right on the Alberta College of Paramedics website, lots of oilfield jobs there:
http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/pages/Employment/default.aspx

Also try out firehall forums, occasionally some oilfield jobs pop up:
http://www.firehall.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44

I wouldn't worry about being fresh outta school, everyone starts somewhere and that happens to be at EMR in AB, its really just an learning experience before you do EMT. Even if the jobs call for an EMT it never hurts to apply anyways they might just hire you.
As for BC, BCAS is all I know of and I'm pretty sure most industrial jobs are OFA3 not EMR.

djones44

Forum Probie
Just wondering if anyone could help me out in the location of contract jobs within BC and Alberta? I'm having the hardest time finding them, and i'm new to this site and havent quite figured it all out yet. Most of the jobs im finding are perm, but I would like to work on the oil sands as an EMR. I will be getting my PII, PST, and H2S Certifications as well. Also does anyone know if they take freh meat like moi straight out of school? Please help, thank you for your helpful comments.

With two paramedics killed on the job here in BC yesterday, out of Tofino, driving into a lake at 4:30am, you should be aware of what you're getting into. The hours and sporadic shifts don't help your alertness.

OP
OP
E

EMRNewbieKat

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

Thanks badkarma and djones for the information. My friend is a paramedic in BC and I understand the sacrifices within. My condolences for the paramedics that gave their lives to saves others, they will be remembered well. Hopefully one day the government will make paramedics equal to police and fire and paramedics lives will no longer be lost. Thank you once again.