Figure 8

kpr24

Forum Probie
Hello,

In EMT school, I didn't learn how to do a figure 8 when strapping a patient to a long back board. On the job, I've had a few calls where the method would be handy. Can anyone point me to a video or instructional drawing on how to do a figure eight for the bottom strap?

Thanks.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Figure 8... like the rock climbing knot?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

kpr24

Forum Probie
No. I've seen a "figure 8" used on the bottom strap when strapping a patient to a LBB who has to be carried down stairs. With the figure 8, the strap goes across the shins and then wraps around the bottom of the feet so the patient doesn't slide down when the board is angled downward.

I realize there are other ways to prevent such sliding, but I'd like to learn the "figure 8" as well.

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
Are you talking about something like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grady_straps

Grady_Straps_Full_View_Image.jpg

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Good to know how to hang the pt by the ischium or by the feet. Sort of recreates the effect we had with the old short spineboards and maybe the KED?

OP
OP
K

kpr24

Forum Probie
No, not quite. What I've seen used is three straps--across the chest, across the pelvis, and across the shins. The bottom strap is high on the shins, passes against the bottom of the feet, and then comes up to be secured.

errey

Forum Crew Member
No, not quite. What I've seen used is three straps--across the chest, across the pelvis, and across the shins. The bottom strap is high on the shins, passes against the bottom of the feet, and then comes up to be secured.

i know what your talking about we use them regularly. at the hand holds beside the feet on either side attach two straps and raise them above the pt's legs on both sides. cross the two ends across the pt's legs and wrap around the feet so the strap is resting on the soles. brings the ends back around to the top of the feet and tie them off. If you have a long strap you can do it with just one. looked online can't find a pic or video so hope this helps :)

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I believe what you do is take the shin strap, connect it...but have it loose, then flip it around making a loop then tightening it so it makes the shin area taught.

You are doing this to extricate down stairs or something so they don't slide around the board, yes?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I know of what you're talking about, however, I do not know of any videos that show the process. It's actually super easy, takes about 1 minute to learn, but I just haven't been able to find pictures or video about how to do it... and I don't have the equipment to do my own video about how to do it.

ETA: Errey found one. That's one way to do it. Pay attention to how the straps are run...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

kpr24

Forum Probie
I believe what you do is take the shin strap, connect it...but have it loose, then flip it around making a loop then tightening it so it makes the shin area taught.

You are doing this to extricate down stairs or something so they don't slide around the board, yes?

Yes, this sounds like it. Correct, used to immobilize patient being carried down stairs.

Thanks.:)

mycrofft

I had my glasses off and thought it said "CHIN", not "shin". OMG....:mellow:

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Notice how a lot of the folks who have heard of this are Northeasterners. I first saw this when I came out here as well.

I like it, but if there's real need to restrain someone longitudinally (cartwheeling them down spiral stairs and such), I like the diamond/"Grady" strapping paccookie linked; it secures them much more effectively via the pelvis.

mycrofft

Hmmmm

package.jpg

PLUS
np73671_984.jpg

PS: Note the foot arrangement on the LSB pic.

mycrofft

I'd want fresh velcro if I'm depending upon about five square inches of it to hold up my partial weight.