Fentanyl is good

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Had a pt a few weeks ago that "wasn't acting right" according to nursing staff. Normally the pt was lucid but that day the pt was higher than a kite with constricted pupils due to the massive dose of duragesic she was given. Her breathing was WNL. She would talk minimally when provoked but mostly just smiled. She laid in bed and barely moved which was different because she normally was able to sit up and move around with a walker. PMH included chronic pn, hip fx, multiple spinal fx, etc. I decided not to give her narcan. When I got to the hospital they asked why I didn't give her narcan. I didn't because normally she's depressed and in a lot of pn but that day she was smiling. Why ruin it for her. She was in her late 70s. Anyway, I'm curious what you guys would have done in that situation.

ems_is_4_me

Forum Ride Along
Good Job

I Thank You Handled It Well It The Pt Was Not There Self Why Compound The Problem

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I too think you did a great job handling this one. Of course another option would be to give the Narcan right as you enter the ER and let them deal with it. I guarantee they will never give you a problem again.....

randyb

Forum Probie
Sounds like you checked her vitals and made sure she wasn't crashing. So why cause needless pain? Monitor and transport. Better for her, better for you and if the E.R. folks don't like it, they can give her the Narcan.

BTW. In our area we are getting quite a few overdoses with Fentanyl patches with folks 'eating them'.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Another method would be to give a VERY SLOW push of Narcan and titrate to effect.... Solve the "altered" problem but leave the pain help.

OP
OP
G

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Good advise Jon. Very funny Randy, I've never seen anyone eat a fentanyl patch lol, lol, lol

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Sadly

People have died from chewing or ingesting fentanyl patches. I thought it was a pretty stupid way to go, but what do I know.

As far as that call, don't be so quick to use narcan. You did a good job and a good humanitarian thing doing what you did. Save narcan for those with respiratory depression, or those checking their reservations with St. Peter.

Mercy for the junkie is another thing altogether, lol. Four words - ER. Doorstep. Narcan Bomb. It's like a junkie hand grenade, or something Wile E. Coyote would buy from Acme, just push the plunger and watch it explode.

OP
OP
G

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
oldschoolmedic said:
People have died from chewing or ingesting fentanyl patches. I thought it was a pretty stupid way to go, but what do I know.

As far as that call, don't be so quick to use narcan. You did a good job and a good humanitarian thing doing what you did. Save narcan for those with respiratory depression, or those checking their reservations with St. Peter.

Mercy for the junkie is another thing altogether, lol. Four words - ER. Doorstep. Narcan Bomb. It's like a junkie hand grenade, or something Wile E. Coyote would buy from Acme, just push the plunger and watch it explode.

Nice post, lol.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree, I would had done the same thing.. ever see an old addict reverse? Not a pretty sight, if she was breathing, and not compromised, let them deal with reversing and withdraws....

R/r 911

FF894

Forum Captain
I think you did the right thing. Almost any call "out of the ordinary" the nurses play Monday morning quater back and say what they would have done. Most of them don't have a clue what its like in the feild.