Feel like im useless

Monkeygrip

Forum Ride Along
So im about half way through my EMT class.

And I still feel useless. Like I dont know anything. And I have problems remembering fine details from a month ago from other chapters.

Idk, is this normal? Cuz I feel like I should be a Rockstar and just know everything about everything.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
It's normal to feel frustrated about learning new things. No one I've met knows everything about everything. You're already one step ahead of the general population because you're actually taking an EMT class instead of just wondering about it.

Many of the fine details you're struggling to remember are more for passing tests than working in the field. You won't have a chance to do the latter if you don't deal with the former. For now, simplify your life and concentrate on those details. There will be time and many opportunities to weed out the nonsense and learn the real job later on.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
You think you should know everything about everything you don’t have any experience in?
Ok

OP
OP
Monkeygrip

Monkeygrip

Forum Ride Along
You think you should know everything about everything you don’t have any experience in?
Ok
I know, I just have very high expectations of myself. But what am I to do lol.

It's normal to feel frustrated about learning new things. No one I've met knows everything about everything. You're already one step ahead of the general population because you're actually taking an EMT class instead of just wondering about it.

Many of the fine details you're struggling to remember are more for passing tests than working in the field. You won't have a chance to do the latter if you don't deal with the former. For now, simplify your life and concentrate on those details. There will be time and many opportunities to weed out the nonsense and learn the real job later on.
Thanks for the input. So pretty much. Ive learned the general theory of how everything works. Which is what I assume is the most important lesson from class.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the input. So pretty much. Ive learned the general theory of how everything works. Which is what I assume is the most important lesson from class.
I wish it were, but I think the most important aspects of an EMT class are (1) to develop a sense of what you're getting into, because it's not for everyone, and (2) to help you pass the written and practical exams. There's nothing wrong with learning more than that, but theories and big-picture concepts won't help you graduate as much as the details you'll be tested on.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Everybody starts to make the connections a different points. Usually about halfway through the class, when you start doing more complex scenarios, it all starts to click. Just give it time.

OP
OP
Monkeygrip

Monkeygrip

Forum Ride Along
i appreciate it guys. to be fair, i havent had any hands on training yet. im doing a hybrid course.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent

And I still feel useless. Like I dont know anything. And I have problems remembering fine details from a month ago from other chapters.

Idk, is this normal? Cuz I feel like I should be a Rockstar and just know everything about everything.
Ego gratification is a huge liability when starting out in any new endeavor you're really enthusiastic about. Especially when the stakes are relatively high and so is the job profile. Pretty common to conflate image and self worth with the progress of training and practical deployment.

It is all about you in a certain sense, but in another, it is anything but about you. Know the difference between ego gratification and job satisfaction and you'll be able to make a career of taking care of the sick and injured. Or not, and you'll be selling used cars in a couple of years...not that there's anything wrong with that....I buy used cars all the time...

Bishop2047

Forum Crew Member

This is the best attitude that you can have while in school. "I know nothing, please teach me" is far more desirable than "I know it already, you have nothing to teach me".

Medicine is a big world, and the more you learn the more you will realize you don't know. Understanding that you don't know everything is a good attitude to have starting out.

Pass the tests. Suffer though practicum. Learn as much as you can. Get employed. Then you will really start learning.

Trauma Cop

Forum Probie

EMT class is very hard for people that have no prior medical training. It's a big dose of advanced first aid along with anatomy and physiology. A lot of people even find EMT class harder than paramedic class because they are starting from scratch.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
A lot of people even find EMT class harder than paramedic class because they are starting from scratch.
Really? I haven't ever heard that. Do you mean people who've taken both classes all the way through? I mean, you have to be an EMT to become a medic, so you wouldn't have anyone who flunked EMT and passed paramedic, but there are plenty of EMTs who drop out of medic school.

jeffcpr

Forum Ride Along
i appreciate it guys. to be fair, i havent had any hands on training yet. im doing a hybrid course.
Man that is tough I taught hybrid EMT. Are you going to do ride alongs. Unfortunately we also did not do ride alongs. I always feel that the ride alongs help it all come together. Stay strong you will get there.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Then you will really start learning.
Once you get to that point, don't stop. The moment you stop learning, even if it's just one thing new to you in your field, that's when you should quit and go do something else. I've been at this for quite a while and even when I'm stuck doing triage for weeks, I still find new things. Keep learning. That time is never wasted.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Once you get to that point, don't stop. The moment you stop learning, even if it's just one thing new to you in your field, that's when you should quit and go do something else. I've been at this for quite a while and even when I'm stuck doing triage for weeks, I still find new things. Keep learning. That time is never wasted.
^^^
This can't be emphasized enough.

Cee021

Forum Ride Along
About halfway done on my emt hybrid course.. I been reading in the comments and from what am getting all in time it starts clicking just put in the work and trust the process..

Am glad i work non Emergency transport gave me some skills