FDNY vs Hospital-EMS

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Trying to get a more clear picture on the differences to affect my decision making. Any help with the accuracy or comparison of this info will be appreciated. Of course, this is only comparing 911 services not including any volunteer, private, or IFT organizations. I'm mostly in the dark about what hospital-based EMS has to offer. I apologize for seeming a little bias w/ FDNY but based on the info they provide on the site and talking to guys who are in I got the following info. Those of you in hospital EMS feel free to chime in.

10698506_352389084934726_4447736352275718898_n.jpg

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Another concern of mine is which is a better option for the long term?

Crackcicle

Forum Crew Member
If you plan on this being a full-time career, FDNY generally makes more sense. The pay is generally better at the private hospitals but the benefits can't be compared and the job security is generally non-existent. The hospitals do have the potential for promotion - you can become a supervisor but that's generally a politics game as opposed to being test based (at least for Lt.) at FDNY. The 25 year pension is hard to compete with, line of duty injury benefits and abundance of overtime is also rare in the hospitals. None of the hospitals will pay you a full salary while you are in medic school and take you off the road to make life easier for you

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
I've gotta say. If I wasn't sold before, I'm definitely sold now!

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
In FDNY, you can take a promotional to LT, anything after that is politics and a good set of knee pads

In some hospitals, EMTs can make $28, and medics close to $40 but they can easily fire you and replace you, of course getting in is hard. In FDNY, you're protected, you'll be sitting at the station for a year before they fire you.

Also, it is hard to become a medic in the FDNY, you have to test and there's a long wait. Most people do it outside

A lot of people, work FDNY full time and a hospital per diem, that way you have a pension and social security