FDNY Hiring Freeze!!

XxBigBrotherxX

Forum Crew Member
Okay im a couple weeks into my EMT-Basic Course at John Jay college in NYC. We were informed that their is a hiring freeze for the FDNY at the moment, but we werent really given much more info on the matter. Does anyone here know anything about the hiring freeze in New York's FD. When will it be over? What can i do in the meantime. Im hoping i wont have to take a refresher course by the time the hiring freeze is lifted?

OP
OP
X

XxBigBrotherxX

Forum Crew Member
i have...but honestly..i don't want that..the FDNY has so many growth opportunities for the FDNY and i would like to get started with that ASAP..but i mean if i have to go and work for the private sectors for a while i will. It might be a good way to get my feet wet.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Private sectors is where you will typically see some of the best providers. Not bragging, not trying to instigate anything, just offering some personal opinion. If you want to be in EMS and not the FD, don't be afraid of going private, at least for a little while. Find companies with good BLS emergency contracts if you want experience. Not every private EMS will have their employees getting stuck doing routine tx's all day.

Bosco578

Forum Captain
i have...but honestly..i don't want that..the FDNY has so many growth opportunities for the FDNY and i would like to get started with that ASAP..but i mean if i have to go and work for the private sectors for a while i will. It might be a good way to get my feet wet.

So you want to get "promoted" to fire right?

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I was watching news the other day and a FD in a bigger city in florida somewhere was accepting applications. They would only give out 700 applications but there was thousnads standing in line for a chance to apply.... With the economy going like it is i am sure people will be wanting a government job hoping for some sort of job security. FDNY no doubt has also been inundated with applications.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

It may also be a good way to ensure you have a job when the layoffs continue over time....

Wants vs. needs..........right now I would take the need. As more and more people lose their job in the unstable economy, you will find yourself behind those with experience. An EMT-B is not exactly a hot comadity, there are many qualified people for each individual job. Just food for thought.

I wouldn't expect their hiring freeze to let up anytime soon. Your big city government departments are going to start cutting back, watch and see. Whether its benefits, pay, or reduced staffing, something eventually will get cut. There are thousands out there with the same vision you have, in todays job market, you need to find the best way to market yourself and take what you can find.

Good luck!