Fdny -emt-b

StopNgo1000

Forum Crew Member
i hear ya....i do volly in Suffolk. I had a few medic friends , some pass some fail tell me its draining so i don't know.

As far as financially , i don't have it. Where i volly they will pay for it from what i heard but its a huge process.

FDNY will pay for it but you have to give 3 years of service?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
i hear ya....i do volly in Suffolk. I had a few medic friends , some pass some fail tell me its draining so i don't know.

As far as financially , i don't have it. Where i volly they will pay for it from what i heard but its a huge process.

FDNY will pay for it but you have to give 3 years of service?

FDNY will pay YOU.

But yes, you owe 3 years of service after that or you owe them $22,400 over 3 years.

That $22,400 degrades weekly until you hit 3 years.

Financially to take it on your own, take out a loan. Suffolk wise, look into stonybrook.

StopNgo1000

Forum Crew Member
Why 22400? The coarse is 10k .

Also , if you fail for whatever reason ...do you pay the money back ?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Why 22400? The coarse is 10k .

Also , if you fail for whatever reason ...do you pay the money back ?

If you fail or drop out prior to the state test, you don't owe a dime. You go back to working the street.

$22,400 is the value of the time they pay you in the 9 months you sit in a classroom.

If you take the class, and bail the day after and pay them the $22,400, then you have still made out with a free paramedic class. You just lose your paycheck for the last 9 months.

StopNgo1000

Forum Crew Member
So if you get in the medic class they pay u that 22k , u still have to work your 40 hours and do the class ?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
So if you get in the medic class they pay u that 22k , u still have to work your 40 hours and do the class ?

No, your 40 hours is the class.

They pay you the 22k, but If you leave before the 3 years you owe a portion of it back to then.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
how does the FDNY class compare to Stony Brook, just curious....

That sounds like an awesome deal, wish my FD would put up the bill for medic school, but they don't have their own ambulance, yet....

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Doesn't sound like FDNY EMS is a good place to work unless you plan on using it to become a hose jockey...

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
$ 34,000 in NYC, how does one eat?

They do not hold an EMT exam. Ever.

Civil service is an exam through dcas,, but its an online at home exam that grades you based on past experience, not job based knowledge.

Civil service is mandatory, there is nothing optional.

The best advice I can give you, is enroll in a paramedic program as soon as you can. Hiring for a paramedic is about 4x faster (literally) than an EMT and as long as you can front the money for the class, you will not lose anything from it.

Starting pay as an EMT = $34,000 i think?
Starting pay as a medic = $44,000

In your first year, you make back the money you spent on your class and you have a brighter future.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm at $44000, little more manageable I guess but I live at home lol.

After all is said and done i will probably make $48-50k for the year. Not too terrible at age 22 but with a family idk how people do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You don't eat. You get a second job. Your luck if your spouse knows you.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
$ 34,000 in NYC, how does one eat?

You don't, at least not without a lot of OT. That's why I left and got hired with Fairfax County.

In NYC, the general thought is that you work at the hospitals for better money, schedule and other working conditions, or you do FDNY EMS for the benefits. Hosp. Based NYC 911 is pretty good for a short term job. I started as an EMT-B at $14.92/hr, then went up to $20.02/hr after a year and a half. As a medic, I started at $22.02/hr, up to just below $30/hr after a year and a half. No pension or job security, but you get to a liveable wage much quicker than the five years FDNY requires. You can also schedule work around school in many cases. I had a steady 16/12/12 that freed me up todo the NY Methodist Paramedic Program in Brooklyn.

OP, that was good advice to take the medic class on your own dime. You'll get hired much quicker by FDNY. After getting on, it's easier to get a per diem job at one of the hospitals, or even leave FDNY to work FT for one of them if you want to go to college. When you work for FDNY EMS, they can mandate you for OT when you need to be in class.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
You don't eat. You get a second job. Your luck if your spouse knows you.

True. At least as a medic, you can get $20/hr per diem at some private IFT company.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Many volunteer fire departments here are employing paid paramedics at $25-30 an hour perdiem that's my current goal.

Like most my age, im in it to be a firefighter and work EMS/return to school on the side.

StopNgo1000

Forum Crew Member
I just got my list number too ...674. I think everyone gets a 70 as passing . There are no questions it's all experience . I Intend on going to medic school in September so I doubt they will be calling me anytime soon. Ill just have to reapply as a medic .

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
I almost cried just now. I would be willing to relocate to NY for a chance at NYFD EMS. Where I am in California, I don't like the idea of going through a fire academy to be a fire-medic when I have no desire to fight fires.

Now you're making me cry. Went 2 years in southern ca without calls from any "reputable" ambulance companies and moved and lapsed.
Now I'm moving back to start the abuse all over again. God I would kill for a fire medic position

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Many volunteer fire departments here are employing paid paramedics at $25-30 an hour perdiem that's my current goal.

Like most my age, im in it to be a firefighter and work EMS/return to school on the side.

You Long Island roots are exposed.

You worked up in CT?