FDNY EMS Candidates

spaceferret

lvl: pumpkinslayer
^^ you do one at EMD and about 8 on a bus. You can get assigned to any shift on your tour depending if you're on tour 2 or 3, if you're tour 2 your usual schedule is 0700-1500 but during rotations it can be any tour 2 shift which can start anywhere from 0600-0900. They were pretty good at getting people assigned to one of the top stations you request for your rotation... FYI if you get assigned a station for rotations doesn't mean you'll get that one when you're done. Your "dream sheet" only allows you to put your preference of division (borough). But at the end of the day it comes down to the needs of the department

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A few questions please, sorry to ask so many questions but I need answers if you can help pls:
1. What do you mean tour 2 can start anywhere between 0600-0900? Do you mean that "tour 2" starts at different times for each station? I thought tour 2 was like 00:00-08:00 for every ems station in nyc.

2. Does your dream sheet only allow you to pick your only your preferred borough or can you pick your preferred station as well?

3. Last question, I know fdny does mandatory overtime.. say you are usually tour 2, 00:00-08:00 and you get mandatory overtime, 08:00-16:00, do you still have to report for your regular tour again at the next 00:00 after completing the mandatory overtime or do you have off since you worked an extra shift? How does it work

Emttttt

Forum Probie
A few questions please, sorry to ask so many questions but I need answers if you can help pls:
1. What do you mean tour 2 can start anywhere between 0600-0900? Do you mean that "tour 2" starts at different times for each station? I thought tour 2 was like 00:00-08:00 for every ems station in nyc.

2. Does your dream sheet only allow you to pick your only your preferred borough or can you pick your preferred station as well?

3. Last question, I know fdny does mandatory overtime.. say you are usually tour 2, 00:00-08:00 and you get mandatory overtime, 08:00-16:00, do you still have to report for your regular tour again at the next 00:00 after completing the mandatory overtime or do you have off since you worked an extra shift? How does it work

1. Tours are separated by morning, afternoon, or evening not set start time. For example tour 2 can start at 6 or 8am. Everything is determined by the needs of the department.

2. Dream sheet allows you to choose boroughs in order you would like, not stations and its not guaranteed.

3. Being mandated means you are required to work the ot, does not relieve you from your regular hours. Most stations try their best to not mandate, they usually ask around first to fill the hole.

Cmushlit

Forum Probie
As far as I know there is a new class in now... I havent gotten any ride along students yet though.. not sure when the next class goes in... it's usually right after this class graduates. When I get a student ill ask them for you and I'll let you know

Currently in the academy. Ride alongs start today 8/1. They said the next class should be going in around 3-4 days after we graduate so that would be on or around October 1st. We are actually doing 12 rotations this academy. 11 on the street and one at emd.

JohnEmt

Forum Crew Member
Currently in the academy. Ride alongs start today 8/1. They said the next class should be going in around 3-4 days after we graduate so that would be on or around October 1st. We are actually doing 12 rotations this academy. 11 on the street and one at emd.

Are you on 7000?

spaceferret

lvl: pumpkinslayer
1. Tours are separated by morning, afternoon, or evening not set start time. For example tour 2 can start at 6 or 8am. Everything is determined by the needs of the department.

2. Dream sheet allows you to choose boroughs in order you would like, not stations and its not guaranteed.

3. Being mandated means you are required to work the ot, does not relieve you from your regular hours. Most stations try their best to not mandate, they usually ask around first to fill the hole.

Thanks for your answers. Just to clarify, are you saying for question #1, that even though I am technically on "tour 2", I may be scheduled to work 0600 today and 0800 tomorrow and 0700 another day? And what are the boundaries that fdny sets as to what is morning, afternoon, etc? For example would morning be [0600-1100] and afternoon would be [1200-1700]?

And for question 3, so even if I worked 16 hours straight, I would still have to report for my regular scheduled tour? isn't that illegal or something?

Emttttt

Forum Probie
Thanks for your answers. Just to clarify, are you saying for question #1, that even though I am technically on "tour 2", I may be scheduled to work 0600 today and 0800 tomorrow and 0700 another day? And what are the boundaries that fdny sets as to what is morning, afternoon, etc? For example would morning be [0600-1100] and afternoon would be [1200-1700]?

And for question 3, so even if I worked 16 hours straight, I would still have to report for my regular scheduled tour? isn't that illegal or something?

You get a monthly schedule and the start time is the same everyday u work.

If you work 8am-4pm and they mandate you 4pm-12am that's 16 hrs, but your next tour 8am-4pm have a 8 hr gap from 12am-8am. They cannot mandate you you are working a double though.

OP
OP
JPat86

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
You guys don't need to worry about getting mandated right now lol. Concentrate on getting in the academy first.. I've only been mandated twice as a "probie" every division/station is different. Don't stress.... think of the $$$$

NycEmt7

Forum Crew Member
I'm in the early 900's and I'm waiting for my pat letter. Any 800'ers get anything yet?

Cdawg06

Forum Crew Member
As far as I know there is a new class in now... I havent gotten any ride along students yet though.. not sure when the next class goes in... it's usually right after this class graduates. When I get a student ill ask them for you and I'll let you know

We just started rotations this week sir, and graduation is Sept. 29th

Cdawg06

Forum Crew Member
How big are classes?

Count on deck is 150 including the 4medics, started at 154... next they are doing one more class this year in October and then doing the trainee program (which is 4months) at the beginning of next year

Patel92

Forum Crew Member
Question, for those who are within the department already. Is it possible to work per diem at a hospital, for instance Mount Sinai or Presby?

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Question, for those who are within the department already. Is it possible to work per diem at a hospital, for instance Mount Sinai or Presby?

Depends on what borough you work. There is a list of conflict of interest hospitals which will tell you what places you're allowed to work a side job at.