FDNY EMS Candidates

TeeDub

Forum Crew Member
Thanks.
Does anyone else remember what they usually ask you in the interview?
I'm trying to be as prepared as I can be

graycord

Forum Crew Member
Thanks so much graycord. One more question, is there an opportunity for new hires to choose their preferred tours? Say perhaps because of any obligations other than work?

idk, I don't work there, I just know a couple of people who have gone into fdny. From what I know, they try to be accomodating, but if you get stuck on mandatory OT, idk if there is a way out, if that's what you're asking.

TeeDub

Forum Crew Member
Is the intake interview a group interview, or 1 on 1 with just you and your investigator?
And is it like the PAT where it's better to get there an hour + early?

Patel92

Forum Crew Member
Is the intake interview a group interview, or 1 on 1 with just you and your investigator?
And is it like the PAT where it's better to get there an hour + early?
One on one. Depends if your investigator is ready to see you. They meet with many candidates in a day.

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Intake starts as a group thing, going over the packet of info. Then you get. Sought upstairs for fingerprint and a sit down with your investigator.

Be early for everything.

JohnEmt

Forum Crew Member
Has anyone off 7000 been called for the academy yet? I'm list number 4** and just finished the process of everything today. Hoping to get into the October class. Heard it'll be the last one until summer of 18'

fdnyemt1

Forum Lieutenant
Has anyone off 7000 been called for the academy yet? I'm list number 4** and just finished the process of everything today. Hoping to get into the October class. Heard it'll be the last one until summer of 18'
Who'd you hear from that it will be the last one until summer of 18?

bigtimecards

Forum Probie
Im 1x on list 7031, will the trainees from list 7014 start the process (PAT etc) before my list even though we filed a couple months before them? Just trying to plan ahead, if the previous poster is correct about a January trainee program. Thanks

fdnyemt1

Forum Lieutenant
Im 1x on list 7031, will the trainees from list 7014 start the process (PAT etc) before my list even though we filed a couple months before them? Just trying to plan ahead, if the previous poster is correct about a January trainee program. Thanks
I'm on your list as well, was wondering the same thing

spaceferret

lvl: pumpkinslayer
can anyone explain how rotations work pls? do they schedule you to do rotations on your Sundays and saturdays off when you're in the academy?

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
can anyone explain how rotations work pls? do they schedule you to do rotations on your Sundays and saturdays off when you're in the academy?

No. The academy is what's called D platoon. It's Monday-Friday. When you get there, you'll be broken down into platoons amongst your class. After the state, you'll start doing different rotations, on buses, evoc, hazmat, scenarios. They all take place during your regular tour, whether you're tour 2 or tour 3.

Cdawg06

Forum Crew Member
No. The academy is what's called D platoon. It's Monday-Friday. When you get there, you'll be broken down into platoons amongst your class. After the state, you'll start doing different rotations, on buses, evoc, hazmat, scenarios. They all take place during your regular tour, whether you're tour 2 or tour 3.

^^ you do one at EMD and about 8 on a bus. You can get assigned to any shift on your tour depending if you're on tour 2 or 3, if you're tour 2 your usual schedule is 0700-1500 but during rotations it can be any tour 2 shift which can start anywhere from 0600-0900. They were pretty good at getting people assigned to one of the top stations you request for your rotation... FYI if you get assigned a station for rotations doesn't mean you'll get that one when you're done. Your "dream sheet" only allows you to put your preference of division (borough). But at the end of the day it comes down to the needs of the department

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnEmt

Forum Crew Member
LOL! Wow! It's been 4 years since I started this thread and it's still going strong!!! So happy to see this! Good luck everyone in applying!! Been on the job 4 years now. Love it.
Thanks for putting this together for all us newbies who have tons of questions! Thanks for your service!

OP
OP
JPat86

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
Absolutely! There are still a lot of questions that I even have in the dept.... every day is a learning experience.. the psych is a 557 (approx)question multiple choice test... they ask you the same question over 20 different time in 20 different ways to see if your crazy and answer other questions differently... that was the annoying part.... the interview is just going over all the paperwork you bring in.... it's nothing more.
. It's not like a regular job interview.... oh, and never lie about anything. They will find out. They may ask if you've ever been arrested or anything (let's say you did and you didn't add it) and they ask that to see if your telling the truth, because they already know the answer... the medical is annoying.... 8 hours... you get a paper and a list of stuff to do... (in the dept. We go every year) pulmonary test, eyes, hearing, stairmaster(without vest), blood work, urine, ect.... then you take a personality test for the psych to see if you have ptsd or anything like that... you'll be talking briefly to her.. then you take a few more tests on the computer... then a lunch break then your in the classroom for the rest of the day getting lectures on what to expect, what not to do ect.... it's not bad... the worst was the stairmaster test in the beginning.... if you pass that, then your in... the academy has changed drastically since I've been there, however don't ever get discouraged, they look for respect and discipline from you. It's all a game. After you pass your final they ease up on everyone and it's basically smooth sailing from there

JohnEmt

Forum Crew Member
Absolutely! There are still a lot of questions that I even have in the dept.... every day is a learning experience.. the psych is a 557 (approx)question multiple choice test... they ask you the same question over 20 different time in 20 different ways to see if your crazy and answer other questions differently... that was the annoying part.... the interview is just going over all the paperwork you bring in.... it's nothing more.
. It's not like a regular job interview.... oh, and never lie about anything. They will find out. They may ask if you've ever been arrested or anything (let's say you did and you didn't add it) and they ask that to see if your telling the truth, because they already know the answer... the medical is annoying.... 8 hours... you get a paper and a list of stuff to do... (in the dept. We go every year) pulmonary test, eyes, hearing, stairmaster(without vest), blood work, urine, ect.... then you take a personality test for the psych to see if you have ptsd or anything like that... you'll be talking briefly to her.. then you take a few more tests on the computer... then a lunch break then your in the classroom for the rest of the day getting lectures on what to expect, what not to do ect.... it's not bad... the worst was the stairmaster test in the beginning.... if you pass that, then your in... the academy has changed drastically since I've been there, however don't ever get discouraged, they look for respect and discipline from you. It's all a game. After you pass your final they ease up on everyone and it's basically smooth sailing from there
Have you heard anything about the October class and if anyone from 7000 has gotten into the academy yet?

OP
OP
JPat86

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
Have you heard anything about the October class and if anyone from 7000 has gotten into the academy yet?

As far as I know there is a new class in now... I havent gotten any ride along students yet though.. not sure when the next class goes in... it's usually right after this class graduates. When I get a student ill ask them for you and I'll let you know

JohnEmt

Forum Crew Member
As far as I know there is a new class in now... I havent gotten any ride along students yet though.. not sure when the next class goes in... it's usually right after this class graduates. When I get a student ill ask them for you and I'll let you know
Sweet. Hoping some of 7000 is in that class now. I'm number 4** and have a slim chance of getting in the October one if they haven't put any in yet