FDNY EMS Candidates

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
What do you wear the first day of the academy. Or will they go over that on the 6th at metro Tec?

First day of the academy you will be given your uniforms by then, and a letter telling you what to wear, BUT you must not put your collar nor hat Insignia pins.
Those you get at the end when you have earned them.

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
Congratulations too man, maybe they go in alphabetical order also. My last name begins with an O. My buddy got called on Friday and his last name begins with an H

ATTN !
They do not go by last names, so forget that. and also you must remember that there are people that have deferred from previous classes, people who failed have the option of taking the class again, so they come as well. you guys have got to stop worrying about your NUMBER. they don't go by number order.
so here is just an FYI to calm some nerves.
1. If you are missing paper work THEY WILL CALL YOU.
2. If you have been DQed you will have been notified by mail.
3. STOP calling you investigators, it only pisses them off, they ar also investigators for hundreds of others. EMAIL them will get a better chance of response .
4. when you get the call post here and let others know what number so they can ballpark figure more or less the count.
5. stop guessing, assuming they forgot you. YOU WILL GET CALLED EITHER WAY.

Good luck and Breath

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
What you get from fitting:
Things to remember:

5 Dark blue button up shirts
6 black polos (1 you bring home for rotations)

2 light blue shirts ( short sleeved )
1 light blue shirt ( long sleeved )
5 black work pants
1 Pair of Duty boots
1 Class A Pants
1 Class A Jacket
1 Rain Coat
1 Work Sweatshirt (the one where you zip up from chest up])
1 BI Jacket
Duty Boots
Class A boots
Bunker Gear (pants & Jacket [both loaners]) (you get your won at the end of the academy)
Helmet
Work Gloves
Red Bag to put your bunker gear, helmet and work gloves in
Tie
Tie Clip
Cover (hat)
2 collar brass
1 cover shield
3 FDNY PT Shirts
2 FDNY PT Shorts
White gloves (part of class A)
2 Belts. Smooth one is to be worn as part of your uniform. The other one is your duty belt so you can put your buff **** on it and wear it over your uniform belt in the field.
You will be fitted for a
Bullet resistant vest ( this you get at the end of the academy

Duffel bag is available for purchase, you are required to have a black duffel bag with nothing on it (no Nike check, under Armour logo, NOTHING). It costs about 35$ AT quartermasters to purchase if you want

I believe that is EVERYTHING i may be missing 1 or two items, but I am not 100% sure.
Everything that is BOLD, ITALICIZED, AND UNDERLINED are things that you leave with them at quartermaster so that they can put your names into it for the end of the academy. Everything else, you bring home.

For your locker, i suggest you bring extra change of clothes, just in case anything happens.

Leave your red bag in your locker with the bunker pants, bunker jacket, work gloves. ( PUT YOUR NAME ON EVERYTHING!)

If you need to shave a lot, then leave a set of razors and shaving cream in your locker. ( I always did it before I got to work anyway, but you can look after your buddies in case they forget or they need to shave).

Leave deodorant in your locker ( don't smell like $h)t, people will hate you, lol.)
Make sure you bring your pt shirts and shorts home after pt days and wash them, PLEASE!

As for tie and tie clips: When we broke into "squads," Squad leader gathered money for extra ties and tie clips to keep in their locker for the squad. You may want to have the squad leader to buy a cover, because people WILL forget to wear it. There are 15 people in a squad and if everyone chipped in 3 or 4 $, then that'll be more than enough for extra stuff. I do not know how squad leaders are chosen, so don't even ask me that, haha.

If you can afford to leave your running shoes in your locker, do so. so that you wont forget.

My advice so that you don't forget anything at home when the academy starts, is to leave your stuff in your car. Put your tie and tie clip into your cover and leave it in your car.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CREDENTIALS WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES (DRIVERS LICENSE, DEPARTMENT ID, AND EMT CARD)

NO PHONES Above all RESPECT YOUR INSTRUCTORS & fellow probies

I'm pretty sure this is all for now. Any questions. leave them here.

Congrats to all who got in, and Good Luck!

TheMedicLife

Forum Captain
are there any rules on watches in the academy? fitbits apple watches ect?

I have a Swiss Army for work but used something like this one for the academy.
plain and gets the job done, still have it.
NO FITBITS, APPLE WATCHES are allowed, you must dress accordingly to uniform.

Save yourselves the grief and just get a simple watch Example Pic

Attachments

• EMS Watch.JPG
    EMS Watch.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 222

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
Got my call, picked the pm class.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats, what's your list number again.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
51x

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
Awesome. That fact that you still had a choice makes me think I'm gonna get a call. They're about 90 ish numbers away from mine.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
I got my call late in the day, 415pm

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Okay allow me to quote myself and many others prior in regards to annoying your investigators..... The less you hear back from them. The better for you. They handle hundreds of candidates and as you may have seen during your intake intake. One folder was placed on each investigators desk. Now imagine how many times that happens to them when calls start going out. Once your close to being called. Your folder will be handed off to one of the senior investigators who will review your paperwork one more time to ensure nothing is missing. At this point if you receive a call..... Its "yes sir/ma'am. It will be handled as soon as possible." because once they hand it off one more time calls will be going out.

Best of luck to all and hope to see you on the streets soon...

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
Can anyone tell me what documentation I need to ring with me on admin paperwork day? He wasn't specific only that it needed to be original documents. I'm assuming my drivers license, emt card, cpr card and ss card?
Anyone going to metro tech feb 27 @ 2pm?
Uniform fitting at quarter master March 1 @ 3pm?

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Can anyone tell me what documentation I need to ring with me on admin paperwork day? He wasn't specific only that it needed to be original documents. I'm assuming my drivers license, emt card, cpr card and ss card?
Anyone going to metro tech feb 27 @ 2pm?
Uniform fitting at quarter master March 1 @ 3pm?

You should receive a letter in the mail telling you everything