FDNY EMS Candidates

Jimazz

Forum Lieutenant
Just got home from medical and my letter for psych was waiting for me. May 14th

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Hey quick question for those who are in better shape than me. Which is probably everyone here.... Any advice for being able to improve my insurance for cardio. My lungs aren't as good as they used to be back when I was a senior in high school.

With the limited amount of hours I get with my current retail job I have a lot of spare time that I spend in the gym and just can't seem to make it pass half a mile without having to stop and I really want to be in the best shape possible for the Academy.

List# 11XX
Exam# 5003

Jimazz

Forum Lieutenant
Hey quick question for those who are in better shape than me. Which is probably everyone here.... Any advice for being able to improve my insurance for cardio. My lungs aren't as good as they used to be back when I was a senior in high school.

With the limited amount of hours I get with my current retail job I have a lot of spare time that I spend in the gym and just can't seem to make it pass half a mile without having to stop and I really want to be in the best shape possible for the Academy.

List# 11XX
Exam# 5003

I dont know how you are running but maybe try a slower pace? I dont know if you are going too fast but if you are at an all out sprint then you wont be able to keep that pace for long. Also make sure you are running with good shoes. Running shoes should be replaced often imo. Better not to risk an injury. Also another thing I can say is f*cking push when you get tired. If you keep giving up once you get tired you wont make progress

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
I dont know how you are running but maybe try a slower pace? I dont know if you are going too fast but if you are at an all out sprint then you wont be able to keep that pace for long. Also make sure you are running with good shoes. Running shoes should be replaced often imo. Better not to risk an injury. Also another thing I can say is f*cking push when you get tired. If you keep giving up once you get tired you wont make progress

6 mph pace, find it easy for the first third of a mile. Push myself to half and I just can't breathe anymore (asthmatic), incline at 1.0 Just to be easier on my joints overall And I always replace my running shoes often. I appreciate the advice though. Maybe I'll drop down to a 5 mph pace and try and push myself to a 6. I have a few months to do this anyways

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
One of the instructors said they are trying to make all the upcoming future academies even longer and that they're debating on college credit requirements for ems and fire academy now meeting is next week

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
6 mph pace, find it easy for the first third of a mile. Push myself to half and I just can't breathe anymore (asthmatic), incline at 1.0 Just to be easier on my joints overall And I always replace my running shoes often. I appreciate the advice though. Maybe I'll drop down to a 5 mph pace and try and push myself to a 6. I have a few months to do this anyways
Def get outside running on a treadmill is nothing like running outside I thought I was in pretty decent shape until we started PT in the academy running there is nothing like running on a treadmill and that I had no problem with. You cant stop running in the academy they scream at you and ur fellow brothers and sisters hold plank positions until everyone is done. also they put the weakest runners in front, so def start running outside u don't wanna be the guy fainting the first day

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Def get outside running on a treadmill is nothing like running outside I thought I was in pretty decent shape until we started PT in the academy running there is nothing like running on a treadmill and that I had no problem with. You cant stop running in the academy they scream at you and ur fellow brothers and sisters hold plank positions until everyone is done. also they put the weakest runners in front, so def start running outside u don't wanna be the guy fainting the first day

Lol appreciate it a lot, and I wouldn't faint. I would just keep pushing myself to the end, go home then pass out