FDNY EMS Candidates

aq40

Forum Crew Member
Stretch your calves, those are usually the first to go. And yea def singing a song in your head helps, also gripping the vest helps keep you centered which seems to be a problem with some people. Also if your a dude, you'll notice the stairs are quiet small in width if your a size 10+ in shoe size. So take it slow and concertante on breathing, pace and balance and you should be good! Good luck! For me it helped to go up and down the stairs with a backpack filled with books for 4 minutes straight.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Got it! Niiiice, march 29th at 8a.... that really was fast...

Congrats, my friend also got it @ 8am, he's in the 15x's.

I just came back from the gym, spend 30 minutes on the stairmaster, it's easy:cool:

And I smoke haha

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Stretch your calves, those are usually the first to go. And yea def singing a song in your head helps, also gripping the vest helps keep you centered which seems to be a problem with some people. Also if your a dude, you'll notice the stairs are quiet small in width if your a size 10+ in shoe size. So take it slow and concertante on breathing, pace and balance and you should be good! Good luck! For me it helped to go up and down the stairs with a backpack filled with books for 4 minutes straight.

Great advice, thank you.

Do they allow you to have a water bottle on the stairmaster, and after doing the stairmaster, is it difficult to do the leg pull thing?

Stitch276

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats, my friend also got it @ 8am, he's in the 15x's.

I just came back from the gym, spend 30 minutes on the stairmaster, it's easy:cool:

And I smoke haha

Did you do it with a 40lb vest or not?

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Did you do it with a 40lb vest or not?

I had two 25 pound plates in two bookbags, one on back, one on stomach, I did get weird looks haha

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I forgot to mention that I was drenched with sweat and my legs felt like noodles after,barely made it to the locker

aq40

Forum Crew Member
Great advice, thank you.

Do they allow you to have a water bottle on the stairmaster, and after doing the stairmaster, is it difficult to do the leg pull thing?

They do not allow you to bring any fluids into the building due to enhancers and stuff related lol. They do give u water breaks in between stations. If they see you drinking from a bottle, you get DQ'd as they say.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
They do not allow you to bring any fluids into the building due to enhancers and stuff related lol. They do give u water breaks in between stations. If they see you drinking from a bottle, you get DQ'd as they say.

Wow that's something
Are you able to at least bring in a bookbag to later store your clothes or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stitch276

Forum Lieutenant
I had two 25 pound plates in two bookbags, one on back, one on stomach, I did get weird looks haha

Definately need to do it with weight. Back packs are a good idea but the straps on the vest are wider and distribute the weight more evenly. If there's a planet fitness or work out world near you i know for a fact they not only have stairmasters, but they also have vests, best way to train is with the vest if you can get your hands on one. I believe Wal-Mart even sells them. But weights in backpacks work too. Just be carefully not to twist your back because it's a lot easier to get hurt that way. The weights unbalanced and sways with you, where as the vest doesn't. All I'm saying is be careful with backpacks. I don't want too see anyone get hurt.

aq40

Forum Crew Member
Wow that's something
Are you able to at least bring in a bookbag to later store your clothes or something?

You can bring a bag but everything has stored and kept away during the entire process. If you sneak a bite or sip something descreatly they will DQ you.

I brought protein bars with me but kept them in my bag till after I was done and on my way home. Cause you get hungry not eating for 4-6 hours especially if your the type of person to skip breakfast like me. Just eat before or after your out of the building.

Stitch276

Forum Lieutenant
You can bring a bag but everything has stored and kept away during the entire process. If you sneak a bite or sip something descreatly they will DQ you.

I brought protein bars with me but kept them in my bag till after I was done and on my way home. Cause you get hungry not eating for 4-6 hours especially if your the type of person to skip breakfast like me. Just eat before or after your out of the building.

Awesome advice.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member

Great advice
My guess is to do as the letter says and wear workout clothes under my street clothes.

Btw, should I cover up my tattoos? I'm guessing I should wear an under armour or a pantyhose type sleeve to cover then

Stitch276

Forum Lieutenant
Great advice
My guess is to do as the letter says and wear workout clothes under my street clothes.

Btw, should I cover up my tattoos? I'm guessing I should wear an under armour or a pantyhose type sleeve to cover then

i was actually thinking the same thing when i read that, and if i should shave to their standards. I know the sent it in the packet for a reason, but should we now? or is it to show the standards if offered a position? i might anyway just to be safe. Oh! and they didnt tell me how to get there from RI lol, just from the 5 boroughs and mass transit, wtf lol.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
i was actually thinking the same thing when i read that, and if i should shave to their standards. I know the sent it in the packet for a reason, but should we now? or is it to show the standards if offered a position? i might anyway just to be safe. Oh! and they didnt tell me how to get there from RI lol, just from the 5 boroughs and mass transit, wtf lol.

I would definitely shave and groom to their standards.

Have you checked out google maps? I'm sure putting rhe adress into your gps will allow you to get there

aq40

Forum Crew Member
No problem guys, as far as attire. It's paramilitary so clean shaven and if you got a mustache keep it trimmed and neat and not below the corner of your mouth. As far as tattooes go, I would wear a long sleeve shirt to cover up the tats. I'm unsure how strick they are but from what I can tell from tats have a bad rap for some odd reason. I don't have tats but when I went I wore sweatpants, t-shirt and sneakers and nice cozy jacket on top cause it was freezing! lol. Please don't smoke for at least 3 days, I felt bad to see a well fit guy fail just cause he took a smoke before the physical.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
No problem guys, as far as attire. It's paramilitary so clean shaven and if you got a mustache keep it trimmed and neat and not below the corner of your mouth. As far as tattooes go, I would wear a long sleeve shirt to cover up the tats. I'm unsure how strick they are but from what I can tell from tats have a bad rap for some odd reason. I don't have tats but when I went I wore sweatpants, t-shirt and sneakers and nice cozy jacket on top cause it was freezing! lol. Please don't smoke for at least 3 days, I felt bad to see a well fit guy fail just cause he took a smoke before the physical.

Awesome advice, thanks.

Fdny emts on street told me that tats are fine, but to keep them covered up in the academy and during the physical, ontake etc

I'm guessing you are able to see who fails and who doesn't?

Where did you get tjat 3day no smoking thing? I got on the stairmaster 5 minutes after I smoked and I did well
And it takes 3 or so weeks for the lungs to clear out

aq40

Forum Crew Member
Awesome advice, thanks.

Fdny emts on street told me that tats are fine, but to keep them covered up in the academy and during the physical, ontake etc

I'm guessing you are able to see who fails and who doesn't?

Where did you get tjat 3day no smoking thing? I got on the stairmaster 5 minutes after I smoked and I did well
And it takes 3 or so weeks for the lungs to clear out

Yea because basically a group of 5 of you will become station buddies and will jumping from 1 station to the next. That guy you were with at station 1 isn't at station 2 and is seated with a supervisor most likely failed the station.

As far as 3 days prior I was told by other emts/medics and also I believe it's advised to you on your physical papers. I understand there's a whole lesson and how, when and why you shouldn't smoke before the physical. But like I said that very fit guy who smoked prior to the test failed the very first station. The way I look at PAT (physical agility test) is that it's mostly an endurance test. The combination or nerves, stress and improper breathing would make anyone compromised and at risk at failing a simple exam.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Yea because basically a group of 5 of you will become station buddies and will jumping from 1 station to the next. That guy you were with at station 1 isn't at station 2 and is seated with a supervisor most likely failed the station.

As far as 3 days prior I was told by other emts/medics and also I believe it's advised to you on your physical papers. I understand there's a whole lesson and how, when and why you shouldn't smoke before the physical. But like I said that very fit guy who smoked prior to the test failed the very first station. The way I look at PAT (physical agility test) is that it's mostly an endurance test. The combination or nerves, stress and improper breathing would make anyone compromised and at risk at failing a simple exam.

I see, thanks for the advice.
I guess your right with the smoking thing, even though my stress will be up from not smoking;)
Might as well quit right?

aq40

Forum Crew Member
I see, thanks for the advice.
I guess your right with the smoking thing, even though my stress will be up from not smoking;)
Might as well quit right?

Lol I would advise you to bro. But that's entirely up to you. Luckily I never picked up the habit. But I do have close friends who struggle with it and let me tell you kicking the habit has made them feel more alive than ever. Wish you all the best bro.