• Industrial/Agricultural

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
When I started my basics class, I thought I would really get more into the behavioral/mental health aspect of EMS, but the chapter on triage/MCI really caught my eye. I'd like to learn a lot more about that, as well as obtain more training in it. How about you? What area do you have an intrinsic desire to learn more about or enjoy? Forgive me for not including all areas, I'm certain I've left out a few that may be your pet interest. If you answer "other," please explain what that interest is and what lead you to it.B)

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
It kind of all goes together and you need to be verseed in them all. Any given day you run calls from a variety of the subcategories of ems.

My actual favorite is Firefighting and fire based emergenies. Since nowadays we are truly Ems-based Fire Protection.

Trauma and Fire calls get me the most excited initially when the tones drop.

JPINFV

Gadfly
While I'd like to become involved with training/education, I'm just not at that point yet (time problem, but I might try to find employment while working on my thesis next year).

When I was working I was pretty interested in the mental health aspect. This was primarly because of the lack of tact and understanding that is common in EMS when dealing with these patients and because I was involved with psych research (sensory gating in patients with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder) during my undergrad.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
i said other, and for that i meant Medical in general. Trauma is trauma, and dead from trauma is dead from trauma... kinda boring in my book. Yeah you get that sweet adrenalin rush, but trauma is a "surgical disease". Nothing really that we can legally fix. I've heard of some services that are allowed to attempt to put a dislocated knee or shoulder back in place, but thats about it. Medical you have to think and really use your schooling. Seems like more we can do and get trained for with medical issues.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I love kids and old people.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I enjoy being able to diagnose an "off the wall" type situation. For example, I had a patient with the typical syncopal episode, with N/V and a "high glucose", I hypothesized that it was Hyperosmolar non-ketonic Acidosis (non-DKA). The other was alcohol withdrawal, even though every one denied any substance abuse... (he had liver flap)...

Of course a good dx. of an AMI, IC bleed, etc. that is not the classic s/s and you hit it, makes your day!

R/r 911

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh while we're on the topic... does anyone have a special interest in a particular system/organ? Personally I dig the lungs and the disorders that affect them. I'm not exactly sure why. I'm also fascinated by the CNS, but I wish I had a deeper understanding of it.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Nice thread!!

Where is the option for: "all of the above" ? Its was difficuilt to pick one as i enjoy all the ones you listed!!

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Nice thread!!

Where is the option for: "all of the above" ? Its was difficuilt to pick one as i enjoy all the ones you listed!!

Yeah, I'm more of a cardiopulmonary kind of guy myself.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It would be nice to be able to rank them, or maybe pick two. Like most, I do love the adrenalin rush of dealing with torn metal and the challenge of extrication at 2am on the side of the highway. But, I also dearly love the teaching aspect of the job. I do a lot of teaching and have found that in every class I teach, I learn something new.

Respiratory diseases are of special interest to me because of my own reactive airway disease. But I think the safest bet would be that the subject I want to know more about is the one I just treated in the ambulance.

EMT815

Forum Probie
I guess I'm kind of a trauma junkie. I don't mind medicals but the thing is as a basic there isn't a whole lot that we can do for them, with a trauma its a different story though.

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
i enjoy idk why dealing with pesticides and forestry stuff

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I really "enjoy" the trauma, but I need to have "all of the above" the be excellent in what I do for any of my patients.

I have recently done a trauma course and tried the patient approach on my medical patients, and it works well!!!

Good thread...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
trauma
medical
anything needing an ambulance
addiction
depression
weight control

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I enjoy trauma... but I like any call where I have to THINK... like a "good" medical call, or a complaint of near-syncope/general weakness that could be cardiac, or could be a cold... I enjoy being challenged, and being able to debrief experienced ALS practitioners after such calls, because I usually learn something. And occasionally, I even see something the medic doesn't see.

I enjoy being able to diagnose an "off the wall" type situation. For example, I had a patient with the typical syncopal episode, with N/V and a "high glucose", I hypothesized that it was Hyperosmolar non-ketonic Acidosis (non-DKA). The other was alcohol withdrawal, even though every one denied any substance abuse... (he had liver flap)...

Of course a good dx. of an AMI, IC bleed, etc. that is not the classic s/s and you hit it, makes your day!

R/r 911
Rid... time to change your avatar.

I think this is SO much more appropriate:
df3af4e3ac24f5e3bf452d7f9e7b6561.jpg