Fake Ambulance Question

EMT9667

Forum Ride Along
Need a bit of advice about the situation I ran into today:

At a local race track (Auto Racing) here in Indiana they have 2 Firefighters at least I hope there EMT Certified that operate the race track with attendance near 1000 People every weekend..

To Start the story I took the family out to see a race after we haven't been able to get out and enjoy some fun for a while. While at the track as being a Certified EMT- B and Having a friend with me as we'll who is a Certified Firefighter and First responder enjoying a evening at the track as Spectators and Off Duty. A large Vehicle Roll over accrued with debris into the stands. We felt that the duty to respond off duty was acceptable.

Well once on scene there we minor injures and a few Extremity injures. They had a ambulance respond that was on the premises and it was a Fake Ambulance. It was purchased from a different county at a Auction and some of the Emergency Lights had been removed from the medic. While on scene and offering our help as a Off Duty EMT and first responder the on scene Firefighters refused and asked us to back to our seats. Once they opened the back of the Medic there seemed to be no Cot or any kind of Medical gear except a BLS Medic bag (Less Equipment then I carry in my own vehicle) and treating patients in the back of a Non Functioning ambulance or licensed Ambulance while waiting for a Real Medic to arrive.. Is this legal?? I felt that the patients care was Jeopardized and that It needed to be looked into.. But I don't wanna file a complaint if I'm not correct on this issue..

Any Input would be greatly thanked..

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

It the ambulance wasn't transporting anyone on public roads I don't see what the issue is. They has a rig that carried first aid supplies.

Many racetracks can't afford EMS crews on standby and instead call EMS when they need the resources. The firefighters and on-scene crew may have been qualified to handle an issue on-site.

I were a firefighter on scene, with minor injuries and the scene under control, I'd ask any EMT-B volunteer to return to their seat, too. There is nothing that you can do that a first responder can't do in this situation. Good on you for volunteering your services.

I'm not sure how patient care is jeopardized, but you're welcome to file a complaint. They had a first response team on scene that responded to the medical emergency. They even had a BLS bag.

Hopefully you enjoyed the races!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It is a fairly common place to use older ambulances as first response units here in Colorado. Lots of the volunteer departments in my area do so, even though very few of them are certified to transport. In the event that they want to get a transport license, they have the vehicle already, all that is needed is to purchase a cot. Old ambulances are also fairly cheap, can carry a good size crew, extra supplies, and function as a climate controlled rehab vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
As long as that vehicle never sees public roads and doesn't transport people, there's no issue. It'd be the same issue if they had a pickup with a utility bed and a cap on it that they stuffed full of medical equipment. Also, often if the vehicle NEVER sees a public road ever again, it probably doesn't even have to be licensed/registered/insured... because those things are often requirements for vehicles to be driven on public roads and highways.

So, yes, it's probably quite legal.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
As others have said, it's pretty common to have a poorly equipped "ambulance" as a first response vehicle. It's not so much there as an ambulance as it is a quick and recognizable mode of transport for the first responder to get there (who typically have a jump bag and an AED). They aren't intended as primary medical care and transport for emergencies. They mostly triage, hand out bandaids and Tylenol, and make sure somebody doesn't die until the actual medic unit that they request arrives.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
NCAA, NASA, and NHRA all only require one EMT-B on site for amateur level racing. they may use any mode of transportation to get them to the patient (including walking/Golf cart) and its unclear if they need equipment other than a basic first aid kit.

the larger tracks will go above and beyond, but the minimums are surprisingly minimal. if you want to dig deeper, find out what governing body the track is under and lookup what their emergency crew is supposed to consist of.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I don't blame the track personnel for not letting strangers get involved, which essentially you were. At sporting events/race tracks/etc. I'd be very cautious in letting someone "help out". Mostly because you don't know if they truly are certified, and also because you never know if they are impaired.

I'm sure the race track has a liability for racing there, and part of the waiver is to understand about the medical and fire suppression/extrication. You can always talk to the race track management about it, maybe they can help you find the answers you are looking for.

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
What race track was this?

I crew at several local tracks and although the equipment is minimal, everywhere I crew has at least two BLS techs on the truck.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Did you stop to think that maybe by removing some of the lights and the cot/stretcher that helps insure no one mistakes it for a road worthy transport unit and actually prevents the crew from even thinking about doing so if tempted? Seems like a built in fail safe in my opinion.

Having a vehicle which looks like an ambulance is great for on scene within the track perimeter. It facilitates movement and everyone knows that help is there, even if it is basic help, it is still an organized and structured response. Once they go through their process, they will activate higher level of care and/or call for transport if needed.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Need a bit of advice about the situation I ran into today:

At a local race track (Auto Racing) here in Indiana they have 2 Firefighters at least I hope there EMT Certified that operate the race track with attendance near 1000 People every weekend..

To Start the story I took the family out to see a race after we haven't been able to get out and enjoy some fun for a while. While at the track as being a Certified EMT- B and Having a friend with me as we'll who is a Certified Firefighter and First responder enjoying a evening at the track as Spectators and Off Duty. A large Vehicle Roll over accrued with debris into the stands. We felt that the duty to respond off duty was acceptable.

Well once on scene there we minor injures and a few Extremity injures. They had a ambulance respond that was on the premises and it was a Fake Ambulance. It was purchased from a different county at a Auction and some of the Emergency Lights had been removed from the medic. While on scene and offering our help as a Off Duty EMT and first responder the on scene Firefighters refused and asked us to back to our seats. Once they opened the back of the Medic there seemed to be no Cot or any kind of Medical gear except a BLS Medic bag (Less Equipment then I carry in my own vehicle) and treating patients in the back of a Non Functioning ambulance or licensed Ambulance while waiting for a Real Medic to arrive.. Is this legal?? I felt that the patients care was Jeopardized and that It needed to be looked into.. But I don't wanna file a complaint if I'm not correct on this issue..

Any Input would be greatly thanked..

Your mind would be blown by the locksmith company that used old ambulances as mobile workshops

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Your mind would be blown by the locksmith company that used old ambulances as mobile workshops

We have a plumber here who uses an old ambulance for his work truck. Always funny when we roll by him code...you can see the envy on his face :p

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It also sounds a little bit like, "I got a cert and I want to help!"

The only time I would ever get out of my seat at an event to go help the event medical staff would be if the bleachers collapsed and they were totally overwhelmed. Otherwise, I'll sit in my seat and enjoy the show.

And for what it's worth, the first aid team from the American Red Cross in Seattle uses an old ambulance as their crew transport vehicle. Looks just like a regular rig, lights and all… But there's no cot inside and the equipment carried is ice packs and Band-Aids, as they mostly standby at 5K's and the like. It makes a good place to get patients out of the weather and haul around all of first aid station gear like tents and stuff like that.

AlphaOmega

Forum Probie
As others have said, it's pretty common to have a poorly equipped "ambulance" as a first response vehicle. It's not so much there as an ambulance as it is a quick and recognizable mode of transport for the first responder to get there (who typically have a jump bag and an AED). They aren't intended as primary medical care and transport for emergencies. They mostly triage, hand out bandaids and Tylenol, and make sure somebody doesn't die until the actual medic unit that they request arrives.

This, its not uncommon at all, especially in rural enviroments.